Saturday, January 30, 2010

Changing my Religion

From being a Gatesholder to Jobsism.  I have been ripping my hair out with Windows machines for years now.  I use them at work.  I use them at home.  With Windows Vista I was yanking my hair out at record paces.  It's a buggy, crappy OS that caused more problems than it solved.  When my computer decided to uninstall it's wireless card, there was a little switch that flipped in my brain.  And that switch plainly said "Dave, fuck this noise."

So I am now typing this from my brand new MacBook.

"But Dave, Windows 7 is gonna be so much better!  They promise!"  And that's what they said about Windows Vista.  XP wasn't bad, but it wasn't as good as Windows 98.  Actually, Windows 98 was about the pinnacle of that platform, and it's been a slow and steady decline from there.  Windows ME was flat out painful to use.  But Vista took the cake.  "Oh, but it's a new type of OS, you need to give it time!"  Horseshit.  If it wasn't ready to release, then don't release it.  Don't use my cash to fund your beta testing.  Vista was slower than XP, took up more memory, made my hard drive run like gangbusters, and froze up on a regular basis from trying to do common average functions.  I don't run massive games.  I don't run ten programs at once.  And I don't download gigabytes of programs and expect them all to run perfectly.  I do basic wordprocessing, some photo editing, and web browsing.  That's it.

And don't even get my started on my work computer.  I was fed the hell up.  So now I have a Mac.  It's going to take some time to get used to the different commands and functions.  So long as it does the basic things I want done, I'll be happy.

Anyways, I'll report on it later.

No comments: