Friday, January 29, 2010

When it rains, it pours

I woke up Wednesday morning, set to go TDY.  I logged on to my computer to check email, and discovered that my wireless card had died.  Gone.  Poof.  I had disconnected from the web the night before, and inbetween then and eight hours later, no more wireless card.  So I left without my computer.  Ain't gonna take it if I can't use it.

Got home tonight, and the Ragin' Mrs. told me that her hard drive had gone kaput sometime around four this morning.

What next?

2 comments:

DANEgerus said...

active recovery is worth the money... if the platter still revolves you can save the files with http://www.file-recovery.net/

I just spent the money for the partition recovery and file recovery combo and it was well worth it.

Plus, if you buy a $30 external USB enclosure you can pop that old H/D in it to run the recovery software on an alternative machine.

Ragin' Dave said...

Well, the Ragin' Mrs. and I being who we are, we have full backups of our computers on USB drives. So if anything has a catastrophic failure, we can simply plug in and reboot. And luckily the Ragin' Mrs. computer is still under warranty. All in all it could have been much worse, but it's an annoyance that I could have lived without.