You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein -
Saturday, November 29, 2008
I want one. I sooooooooo want one.
Dammit. I wanted venison. I'm trying a new place today, we'll see what happens.
Friday, November 28, 2008
Well, I did better than last year.
I've been reading more. Some of the questions were different, but I'm pleased that I'm improving my knowledge. This year instead of comparing the test results with college seniors, they compared them with elected officials. And the officials scored worse than average citizens on most of the questions.
But you know what? I blame the citizens for that. STOP VOTING IN MORONS!
Hell, who am I kidding? Massachusetts, New Fucking York, and California are responsible for more dumb shit than the rest of the country combined. I can't blame someone from Nebraska for the idiots of New Fucking York.
Wait, hold on. Add in Chicago to that mix. Not the entire state of Illinois, just Chicago.
1. Started your own blog
2. Slept under the stars
3. Played in a band
4. Visited Hawaii
5. Watched a meteor shower
6. Given more than you can afford to charity
7. Been to Disneyland
8. Climbed a mountain
9. Held a praying mantis
10. Sang a solo
11. Bungee jumped
12. Visited Paris
13. Watched a lightning storm at sea
14. Taught yourself an art from scratch
15. Adopted a child
16. Had food poisoning
17. Walked to the top of the Statue of Liberty
18. Grown your own vegetables
19. Seen the Mona Lisa in France
20. Slept on an overnight train
21. Had a pillow fight
22. Hitch hiked
23. Taken a sick day when you’re not ill
24. Built a snow fort
25. Held a lamb
26. Gone skinny dipping
27. Run a Marathon
28. Ridden in a gondola in Venice
29. Seen a total eclipse
30. Watched a sunrise or sunset
31. Hit a home run
32. Been on a cruise
33. Seen Niagara Falls in person
34. Visited the birthplace of your ancestors
35. Seen an Amish community
36. Taught yourself a new language (no, not totally, but I can insult you in five!)
37. Had enough money to be truly satisfied
38. Seen the Leaning Tower of Pisa in person
39. Gone rock climbing
40. Seen Michelangelos David
41. Sung karaoke
42. Seen Old Faithful geyser erupt
43. Bought a stranger a meal at a restaurant
44. Visited Africa
45. Walked on a beach by moonlight
46. Been transported in an ambulance
47. Had your portrait painted
48. Gone deep sea fishing
49. Seen the Sistine Chapel in person
50. Been to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris
51. Gone scuba diving or snorkeling
52. Kissed in the rain
53. Played in the mud
54. Gone to a drive-in theater
55. Been in a movie
56. Visited the Great Wall of China
57. Started a business (kind of, long story)
58. Taken a martial arts class
59. Visited Russia
60. Served at a soup kitchen
61. Sold Girl Scout Cookies
62. Gone whale watching
63. Got flowers for no reason
64. Donated blood, platelets or plasma
65. Gone sky diving
66. Visited a Nazi Concentration Camp
67. Bounced a check
68. Flown in a helicopter
69. Saved a favorite childhood toy
70. Visited the Lincoln Memorial
71. Eaten Caviar
72. Pieced a quilt
73. Stood in Times Square
74. Toured the Everglades
75. Been fired from a job
76. Seen the Changing of the Guards in London
77. Broken a bone
78. Been on a speeding motorcycle
79. Seen the Grand Canyon in person
80. Published a book
81. Visited the Vatican
82. Bought a brand new car
83. Walked in Jerusalem
84. Had your picture in the newspaper
85. Read the entire Bible
86. Visited the White House
87. Killed and prepared an animal for eating
88. Had chickenpox
89. Saved someone’s life
90. Sat on a jury
91. Met someone famous
92. Joined a book club
93. Lost a loved one
94. Had a baby
95. Seen the Alamo in person
96. Swam in the Great Salt Lake
97. Been involved in a law suit
98. Owned a cell phone
99. Been stung by a bee
100. Read an entire book in one day
Ah well. Wish me luck today!
Thursday, November 27, 2008
I am thankful for...
I'm thankful for my parents, who refused to strangle me to death in my teens, no matter how desperately I deserved it.
I'm thankful for the friends I've made around the world, including the one who's taking me hunting today while our wives cook Thanksgiving Dinner (see first paragraph).
Happy Thanksgiving, folks.
Wednesday, November 26, 2008
I'm going to make a brief comment
So, Kathleen Parker has determined that getting rid of social conservatives and shelving the values they fight for is the solution to what ails the Republican Party (“Giving Up on God,” Nov. 19). Isn’t that a little like Benedict Arnold handing George Washington a battle plan to win the Revolution?
Whatever she once was, Ms. Parker is certainly not a conservative anymore, having apparently realized it’s a lot easier to be popular among your journalistic peers when your keyboard tilts to the left. She writes that “armband religion” — those of us who “wear our faith on our sleeve,” I suppose, or is it meant to compare socially conservative Christians to Nazis? — is “killing the Republican Party.” Lest readers miss the point, she literally spells it out. The GOP’s big problem? G-O-D.
I'm not calling James Dobson crap on this article, I'm calling Kathleen Parker crap. Get rid of the social cons? What else should we do Mrs. Parker? Get rid of our demands for smaller government as well?Listen, for the past eight years we conservatives have had the "moderates" telling us what we needed to do in order to win elections. Do this. Get rid of that. Don't be so far to the Right.
Hows that working out for ya? Half the "moderates" of the Republican Party jumped ship, after the Republican party did what they wanted it to do!
Fuck. Them. Fuck them all to hell. Fuck them sideways with a chainsaw, fuck them up a tree with a pruning hook. Fuck off, Mrs. Parker. Fuck off, Chris Buckley. Fuck off, Colin Powell. Loved ya as a general, but your political leanings should not in any way influence conservatives.
These "moderates", these fair-weather conservatives, these DEMOCRAT LITE, should lose any and all say they had in the Republican Party. They're done. They have failed.
They FAILED. They have FAILED so utterly and horribly that a radical Left Communist has just been elected to be President. That is a failure on par with the Hindenburg's last flight. That is a failure on par to the current Detroit Lions football team. That is a failure on par to Benedict Arnold saying "Hey, why don't I switch sides right now?" That is a failure on par to Ishtar. That is a failure on par to the captain of the Titanic asking "Iceburg? What iceburg?"
So all these people who've been yanking the Republican Party to the Left can kiss my ass. We have all seen what happens when the Republicans try to be moderate. If that's not a repudiation of moderate conservatism, I don't know what is. Piss off, Mrs. Parker.
I'm not the only one
Congratulations, Phil! Now I can brag "I knew Phil when he lived in Renton, and went by the Nom de Cyber 'Analog Kid'!"
Tuesday, November 25, 2008
FARAH PROVINCE, Afghanistan — In the city of Shewan, approximately 250 insurgents ambushed 30 Marines and paid a heavy price for it.Let's enjoy military victory while we can, before the Surrendercrats take control.
Here's a must read
VDH has ten random politically incorrect thoughts
I know that there are always exceptions to the rule, but I would not willingly put a child into the American Publik Skool Sistim if my life depended on it.
10. The K-12 public education system is essentially wrecked. No longer can any professor expect an incoming college freshman to know what Okinawa, John Quincy Adams, Shiloh, the Parthenon, the Reformation, John Locke, the Second Amendment, or the Pythagorean Theorem is. An entire American culture, the West itself, its ideas and experiences, have simply vanished on the altar of therapy. This upcoming generation knows instead not to judge anyone by absolute standards (but not why so); to remember to say that its own Western culture is no different from, or indeed far worse than, the alternatives; that race, class, and gender are, well, important in some vague sense; that global warming is manmade and very soon will kill us all; that we must have hope and change of some undefined sort; that AIDs is no more a homosexual- than a heterosexual-prone disease; and that the following things and people for some reason must be bad, or at least must in public company be said to be bad (in no particular order): Wal-Mart, cowboys, the Vietnam War, oil companies, coal plants, nuclear power, George Bush, chemicals, leather, guns, states like Utah and Kansas, Sarah Palin, vans and SUVs.
Oh, and here are the other nine random politically incorrect thoughts. I found 'em over here, so you can thank him for that bit of brilliance.
Sorry 'bout yesterday
The bad thing about going TDY for a week is that the paperwork doesn't stop piling up on your desk while you're gone. The job doesn't just go away. So I was taking care of all that yesterday. But getting back at 2245? Monday Night Football at a friend's house. I left around the end of the 3rd quarter. Pack wasn't coming back from that. Ugh.
Sunday, November 23, 2008
Next up? Water is Wet!
Media bias was more intense in the 2008 election than in any other national campaign in recent history, Time magazine's Mark Halperin said Friday at the Politico/USC conference on the 2008 election.It used to be that I would shake my head at the Propaganda Press and just ignore them. Can't do that anymore. The whoremongers have proven that they're the enemy. They don't just want to be biased, they want to inflict that bias on the rest of the country. They're Marxists in every sense of the word, and they want to drag America down to a third-world-shithole status in their quest to make communism work. Even though communism fails every time it's implemented. They just want to do it again, only HARDER!
"It's the most disgusting failure of people in our business since the Iraq war," Halperin said at a panel of media analysts. "It was extreme bias, extreme pro-Obama coverage."
So it's no longer just shrug my shoulders. Now it's time to destroy the fuckers. By. Any. Means. Necessary.
Hunting (slightly) postponed
Yes, Thanksgiving. The Ragin' Mrs. and I are headed over to a friend's house for Thanksgiving, and while the womenfolk are cooking, (and let's be blunt, shall we? My friend and I are getting chased out of his house so the women can do what they want without us bothering them) my buddy and I will be out getting venison.
So I have to wait a day or two. Big whoop. There's enough deer up here to go around.