If not for the massive volunteer work of persons concerned about the Second Amendment, George W. Bush would not have won the very close elections of 2000 and 2004. To state the obvious, the citizen activists would never have spent all those hours volunteering for a candidate whose position on the constitutionality of a handgun ban was "Maybe."
The GOP has seemed to do everything in it's power to drive itself into the ground as a smoking, broken wreck. If one were to simplify the issues that matter to the GOP base, one would get a checklist that looks like this:
1. Secure the border.
2. Win the war on terrorism.
3. Control government spending.
3a. Shrink the size of the government
4. Repeal as many gun restrictions as possible.
(note - those are not listed in order of importance per se, it's just my list)
Now, let's look at what the GOP has been doing.
1. Secure the border: Complete and utter failure. The GOP actively tried to push a shamnesty bill down our throat.
2. Win the war on terrorism: Average. We've finally done the right thing in Iraq, but the GOP allows the
3. Control government spending: Yeah right. The GOP has proven that any political party, if in control long enough, turns into big spenders of someone else's money.
3a. Shrink the size of the government: Again, yeah right. The only difference between the GOP and the
4. Repeal as many gun restrictions as possible: Based on the brief filed by the Solicitor General, they're a failure at that as well. I would note that most of the heavy lifting done in the fight to keep and bear arms has been done at the grassroots level, NOT by the GOP.
In short, given how the GOP has been acting for the past eight years, it's no surprise that they lost their majority in Congress in 2006. We were given the choice between big government nannystatist fuckheads who admitted what they were (D), and big government nannystatist fuckheads who claimed to be conservatives (R). It's about time that someone actually stand up for what they claim to believe in. Otherwise the GOP is going to continue to bleed until it finally dies a death that it deserves.
As a side note, if you hit up the blogroll section "The 2nd Amendment", you find scads of people posting on the amicus brief filed by the SG. Read 'em all. You need to be informed on who and what you'll be voting for this November.