Thursday, November 25, 2004

Thanksgiving

Donald Sensing has a photo essay of the things he's thankful for. Can't say I disagree with any of 'em.

As for me, I have my own list, many of which I won't bother you with. But since I'm in a nice mood today, I have a little story for you.

Back in my first year in Seattle, I was having a bad day. Go figure. I had plans to meet up with some pals from the SCA at a bar in Fremont later, so I went for a long walk, took some pictures (one which is actually published!) and ended up sweaty, hot, thirsty, and in the company of some good people.

Being as I was still in a poor mood, I promptly started drinking. Black Butte Porter, some damn good beer. Also some damn STRONG beer. I had two pitchers of it before I ran out of cash. Since I wasn't driving that night, somebody bought me a third pitcher. I guess they wanted to see Dave walk sideways, or see if I could even walk at all. Needless to say, I was three sheets to the wind.

Sometime during all of this, a woman walks in and joins us at the table. She knew the guys, but since I was a relative newcomer to this group, she didn't know me. I, being drunk, pissed off and horny, promptly made an ass of myself by hitting on her like there was no tomorrow. This same girl eventually dropped me off at my apartment, but it never went further than that. I woke up the next day feeling like an ass, deservedly so, and tried to go about life while forgetting the incident.

About six months later at fighter practice (SCA heavy fighting. If'n ya wanna know, email and ask) I see this very same girl. Her hair was a bit longer, but I recognized her smile and her eyes. She was just starting to learn how to fight, swing a sword, ect. A bunch of the new people didn't have armor to fight in yet, and as I was making a new set for myself out of leather, I put out a group offer to teach anyone who wanted to learn how to make their own suit. They could use my tools, they just had to pay for their own leather. She was the only person who accepted my offer.

Now, I still felt bad about the way I'd treated her six months ago, so I made sure that I was nice to her. However, she had no idea that I was the same drunken asshole who had been hitting on her six months ago at a bar in Fremont. In fact, it took her two weeks to realise that fact. If she had recognized me at the start, she probably never would have taken me up on my armor making offer.

We got married last October.

So of all the things that I'm thankful for.... for the men and women who are working today to keep us safe; not just the military, but the police and firefighters who are away from their families in order to respond and deal with our emergencies, for the hospitals and ERs who ensure that we get the care we need, for everyone who is away from their families so that this country can rest and enjoy this day...

On top of all of that, I'm thankful to God for giving me a second chance to make a first impression.

No comments: