Saturday, November 27, 2004

The Deafening Silence about God

Apparently it's not just Liberalfornia that wishes to remove God from American History. They want God gone on the east coast as well.

This is my first post here, and it's my blog style to provide commentary as well as links. I aim for scathing and pithy, but I will settle for provocative or even mildly interesting.

Back to the topic at hand. Maryland public schools feel that it's undesirable and unnecessarily and possibly harmful to mention the religious aspect of such groups as the Puritans. "Mentioning that the Pilgrims were Puritan is about as close as most administrators are willing to step to integrate religion into their curriculums." And "School administrators statewide agree, saying religion never coincides with how they teach Thanksgiving to students." Yes, we don't want to confuse the revisionist history with the truth. Indoctrinate them early with the absence of a Christian God.

Removing God from American History is completely in line with the world view and agenda of public education. I've written about the NEA on my homeschooling blog.

What I'd like to know is if the Christian God is the only one banned? Has the Great Spirit also been obliterated when Maryland students study Native Americans? And while studying multicultural, are the spiritual and religious concepts of those cultures similarly cut? In the name of equality and all that?

As if I needed more reassurance that I've made the right choice for my children in terms of education. The Happy Homeschooler home will be doing math, reading and the Advent activities featured here for the month of December.

Adding: Having just performed spell check, there are going to have to be some changes around here if I participate. Blogger has "multiculturalism" in the spell check dictionary but not "homeschooling". ;)


No comments: