Monday, April 18, 2022

It doth boggle the mind

 I'm trying to think about what would happen if my command just wasted $17,000,000 for no good reason using a single-source contractor (which is illegal).  The end result is that multiple people would at the very least lose their jobs, if not end up in jail.

Immigration officials wasted $17 million dollars on unused hotels for migrants last year, after hiring a politically connected contractor that failed to meet COVID-19 protocols, a government watchdog found.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement entered into the $87 million contract with the nonprofit company Endeavors to provide services for the surge of migrants at the southern border, the Department of Homeland Security’s Inspector General said in a Tuesday report.

ICE should have sought multiple bids for the work, instead of signing onto the “sole source” deal with Endeavors, which required the agency to pay for a block of more than 1,200 hotel rooms, no matter how many were used, the watchdog found.

So, this is something that I actually know a bit about, since I've undergone fiscal law training in order to be able to do my job.  There are two phrases here that keep popping into my mind.  Fiduciary responsibility and pecuniary liability.  As someone who spends government money, I have fiduciary responsibility to ensure that it gets spent responsibly and that there's no waste.  If I spend that money wastefully or illegally (and there are a shit ton of laws about how to spend money) then I hold pecuniary liability.  Meaning it's my ass on the line.  And the same goes for anyone who spends or approves the spending of government money.

Dude.  Seventeen MILLION dollars wasted.  I'd be in jail if I approved that.  So would my boss.

But the dot gov?  Nah bruh, they good.

We're not being governed by actual normal people, this country is being run by a criminal cabal of evil.  On top of being evil, many of them are plain stupid.  The credentialed class is full of morons who've gotten ahead by money, family ties (the Cuomos, anyone?) or by literally sucking dick (Kamala, here's to you!)

Buy more ammo.  No, MORE than that.  You're going to need it soon.

2 comments:

p2 said...

Can you say “kickback”? Gooood! I knew you could!

Ragin' Dave said...

No doubt. That's part of why a single-source contract is illegal. The entire thing stinks to high heaven. But I guarantee that not a single person from the dot gov is going to go to jail for it, the bastards.