Tuesday, October 18, 2022

The bottom line:

 Shoot whatever gun and caliber fit your hand, because pretty much everything does what you need it to do.

This study took me a long time and a lot of effort to complete. Despite the work it took, I'm glad I did it. The results I got from the study lead me to believe that there really isn't that much difference between most defensive handgun rounds and calibers. None is a death ray, but most work adequately...even the lowly .22s. I've stopped worrying about trying to find the "ultimate" bullet. There isn't one. And I've stopped feeling the need to strap on my .45 every time I leave the house out of fear that my 9mm doesn't have enough "stopping power." Folks, carry what you want. Caliber really isn't all that important.

Take a look at the data. I hope it helps you decide what weapon to carry. No matter which gun you choose, pick one that is reliable and train with it until you can get fast accurate hits. Nothing beyond that really matters!

The dude has the data.  It's broken down for you to peruse.  Were I to offer ANY kind of advice on what you carry, I would say make sure you have good defensive ammo.  I like Hornady Critical Defense because my gun cycles it perfectly and it's a hollowpoint.  But whatever works in your gun should do the trick.

We can still argue about what caliber and gun manufacturer are best.  But in the end, carry what you can shoot the best.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen, carry what you are most capable of using. Even a .22 is better than a sharp stick, and a sharp stick is better than a closed fist, and a closed fist is better than two raised palms which will either get you dead or relieved of your goods and dignity along with a lacerated scalp and your loved ones raped or maimed.

alanstorm said...

Yes. My wife is a dead-on shot with a .22, but a 9mm makes her flinch.

Better to have a .22 and get perfect center-of-mass or head shots than something larger that might miss.

Although I must note that with a 9, her first 4 or 5 shots go into the groin area of the target...

Probably nothing. No worries.

pigpen51 said...

They are now making a .22 caliber strictly for self defense. I don't remember who is making it, or what they are calling it. But I think that it is using velocity as it's main component for the claim that it is better.
I carry a 9mm, with Hornady XTP in it. I have had someone online tell me that the core had a tendency to separate from the outer shell, but since if I ever need to shoot someone, I will likely fire more than one round, I don't think that would ever be any problem.