Saturday, December 15, 2018

Range Day

For some reason, I can't hit the broad side of a barn with my Walther P-22.  But I'm wondering if it's the ammo.  So I picked up a variety of ammo, and I'm taking it to the range.  Fifty rounds of five different ammunition should give me an idea if it's me, the gun, or the ammo.

My last range session, I got so irritated at my "groupings" with the P-22 that I grabbed my Taurus and dumped a mag into the target at a fairly high rate of speed, and got a grouping I could cover with the palm of my hand.  So if I can shoot twelve rounds of 9mm into a three inch circle at seven yards, why does twenty rounds of .22LR look like the spread from birdshot?

We'll see what happens.  I've got CCI, Blazer, Remington Golden Bullet (in 36 and 40 grain) and Aguila.  I'm hoping that I can figure out what the heck is going on.

3 comments:

Rivrdog said...

B/C minor things like small shaking have a greater effect on the 22 bullet, barely over a quarter of the weight of the 9mm.

p2 said...

in the words of a short, very fuzzy, world class skeet shooter who i can hear grumbling every time i step onto a skeet field, "i think, therefore i miss." you may be thinking about it too hard. you know you shoot the 9 well. the 22 feels different, looks different, sounds different.... and that all adds up to thinking. dont think, just shoot. shoot every handgun you own the same way you shoot that 9. i personally can't hit anything with a 9, probably because i very rarely shoot one but i have 2 1911's in 45 and a couple wheel guns i can drive nails with...cuz they're familiar.

Ragin' Dave said...

Well.... the only thing I know for certain is the problem is me. Took a friend with me to the range, he was able to hit his target with the pistol. Me, not so much. Did just fine with the 9mm once again.