Sunday, December 16, 2018

Most college degrees out there aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

Or parchment, if you prefer.  Take the writer of that piece, for example.  This woman was lied to, over and over, by people who told her that a college degree was some sort of magic bullet.  So she got two degrees.  A Bachelor's in English, and a Master's in "Creative Writing".

WTF is "Creative Writing", and exactly how many creative writing jobs are floating around out there?

So now she's working as a waitress.  Because her degrees are worthless, and probably will be for the rest of her life as she pays off her student debt.

In October of 2017, the stress and calls from unpaid creditors forced me to finally give in and file for personal bankruptcy. By January, I had lost my car and cleared my nonacademic debts. I defended my thesis the same month and graduated—happy to have finally attained my life jacket of a degree. 
I searched for teaching opportunities that would give me the income and flexibility needed to keep my business going. I applied for jobs in every market in my area. Teaching jobs, specifically for creative writing or English, were virtually nonexistent in my city, and the other positions required Ph.D.s and prior teaching experience. Awesome, I thoughtTeaching was out of the question for now. I decided to look for acting jobs or writing jobs in the area. The closest one was in Austin, 30 miles away from me. Without a car, that didn’t seem possible.

So she had to declare bankruptcy, which by the way doesn't clear the student loans that she took out to get a degree that didn't qualify her to be a fry cook at McDonalds.

I think that the people pushing college should be forced to sit down and show what jobs are available to that particular field, and how much they pay, and how many (or how few) jobs actually exist.  When I got out of high school, I was set up to go for a double major in Music and English.  Since I hated school at that point with the burning fury of a thousand stars, I passed on the college experience.  And while I'm now in the process of getting a degree, one class at a time, I think that skipping college was probably one of the smartest moves I could have made in my life.  Exactly what the hell was I going to do with a double major in Music and English?  How many Music/English jobs are out there that would pay me enough to afford a house and a car?  No, I got my priorities in order, and the bottom line is that without a degree I'm far more employable with my skills than a college grad and their English/Creative Writing/Social Justice/Gender Studies degree.  With the added bonus that I can be trusted to show up on time.

This guy sums it up rather well:

So how do you make money? 
Well, depends on your degree.  If you’re getting a degree that’s not directly tied to a career, often you emerge from college well suited to be a retail clerk.  Oops!  You were qualified for that before you went to school.  Hmm. 
Degrees matter.  Science.  Engineering.  Accounting.  Finance.  Economics.  Computers.  Construction Management. 
Those are good.  They pay well, and there are often more jobs than graduates. 
Sociology.  Anything with “Studies” in the target.  Exercise Science.  Music.  Art History.  Anthropology (over 12,000 grads, 700 jobs).  Art. 
These are a waste of your time and effort, if you expect to work in those fields and/or be able to afford to eat anything more than ramen.


1 comment:

p2 said...

agreed...... took me 16 years to get a 4 year degree in engineering. took me 3 hours to get a faa mechanic certificate using skills i learned wrenching on ugly ass airplanes for uncle sam. i make better money with my toolbox than i ever will with that hunk o' paper.