Monday, June 26, 2017

Firefly dancing

One of my projects has been to clear out an area under the bigger trees in my property, so that we can use more than just a sliver of the property.  We've got an acre and a half out here, but we use maybe one-eighth of an acre just because all the rest is overgrown.  Step one was to take out a bunch of the small, damaged trees that are growing up under the canopy.  Then I cleared out as many of the branches, rocks and what have you that I could find.  Then I mowed the underbrush into mulch.

We now have one small area under the trees that's perfect for a table and chairs in the heat of the day. There will be more to come, but I'm not going to transform this place into a wonderland simply because it's a rental, and I'm not getting paid for this.  I just want to have some portion of the land usable.

The fireflies have discovered the open spaces, and they're currently using it for their mating dance.  Quite a nice light show.  Between the fireflies and the other wilderness out here, I can see why so many ghost stories sprang up.  Twinkling lights and raccoons crashing through the underbrush must have made quite a few imaginations go crazy.

No comments: