Friday, August 14, 2015

So, the new gun

Took it for it's maiden voyage today.  Put 100 rounds through it.  Please keep in mind that I'm not a gun writer, or a gun reviewer.  I'm just a guy who likes to shoot, so don't expect any chronograph measurements or physics lessons from me.

You can read the specs on it here.  I won't re-hash them.  Here's my initial impression.

It's a steel slide on a polymer frame.  I originally thought that might give it too much "kick" for a small gun.  The grip is textured and contoured to fit your hand.  The grip itself is small-to-medium, but the magazine has a small extention that makes it large enough for my paws to grip.  Without that I wouldn't have purchased the gun, as my pinky would have been hanging off the bottom.  Magazine holds 12 rounds.  Sights are white dot, with the rear sights being adjustable.

I shot the pistol while I was standing with no support.  Hey, I'm in the country.  My target was a cardboard box sitting on a brush pile that I made yesterday.  I figured that if I were to use this gun in a defensive situation, I wouldn't have a bench rest or sandbags.  Ammo was Blazer Brass 115 grain FMJ.

My first ten rounds downrange at 15 feet grouped at 3 inches.  I moved back to 25 feet and could still make a 4 inch group with the second ten round magazine.  My worries about the weight of the slide giving the gun more "kick" was unfounded.  In fact, the recoil was minimal, all things considered.  My .38 Special has more of a kick.  Acquiring the target was easy, and re-acquiring it was quick.  I had no problem getting the gun back on target for a second shot.  I did a number of "double-tap" shots, and while I wasn't as accurate as a single aimed shot all my shots hit within an 8x11 square.

The grip was comfortable; I didn't have to fiddle around or play with my grip in order to get the gun where I wanted it.  It's one of the more natural grips I've found in a pistol, and that's saying something.  My big problem with Glocks is that they just don't fit my hands.  I had no problem with this gun.

All I did right out of the box was wipe off some of the gun grease they had on it.  I gave it a good wipe-down after the range session, and there wasn't much to really clean.  It ran without a hitch right out of the box with no malfunctions or FTF.

Add in the fact that this gun's MSRP is just a hair over $300 - it's a steal.  I've fired guns that cost twice as much that aren't as accurate or as fun to shoot as the Taurus.

All in all, this is a fun gun to shoot.  It's accurate and easy to control, which is really what you want in a carry pistol.  I have a feeling that I'm going to be putting lots of rounds downrange with this gun in the next year or so.

No comments: