Monday, February 18, 2008

Why I don't follow the NBA

Went to a friend's house last night to watch the NBA All-Star game. The Ragin' Mrs. made some of her hot wings, we got some beer, and settled down to see the game.

Yawn.

The "Understatement of the Night" goes to Marv Albert, who quipped sometime through the 2nd quarter, "Not much defense being played here tonight!"

No shit, Sherlock.

This is why super-teams of NBA starts are getting their asses handed to them on any international stage. The whole team concept has gone out the window. It's a bunch of people running around, trying to impress everyone else on the floor, damn near screaming "LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT HOW "REAL" I AM! I'M A STAR, DAMMIT!" Hell, with a few exceptions, we shouldn't even call them basketball "teams" anymore, as most of them aren't a team in anything but name. Call 'em corporations. Call 'em money-making ventures. Call 'em anything else. The only actual "team" that I've seen lately is the San Antonio Spurs, which might explain why they've hoisted hardware on a regular basis this past decade.

SOMEBODY has to play defense. SOMEBODY has to get the ball into the right hands at the right time. And most of those somebodies are outside the USA. Since I brought the Spurs up, let's look at their big three: Tony Parker - France. Manu Ginobli - Argentina (IIRC, I could be wrong on that, but he's from South America). Tim Duncan - US Virgin Islands.

Nope, Duncan ain't from the States. And it shows, in the fact that he's a team-member before he's a superstar.

Bah. Anyways, it's not like I have TV in my house to begin with. I just wanted to comment a bit. Now it's back to my chores that I've been ignoring all weekend. Oh, and eating half a batch of my wife's hot wings? I'm about to start taking ice-cubes into the bathroom with me. Ouch. It warms ya up when you eat them, and it warms ya up when they come out the other end.

I bet you all were just dying to know that, weren't you?

No comments: