Monday, February 18, 2008

I'll give it a go

Since everyone seems to be playing, I'll give it a whirl even if I haven't been tagged with the meme yet.

Which [type of] book do you irrationally cringe away from reading, despite seeing only positive reviews?

--Romance novels and anything in a college required reading list.

If you could bring three [fictional] characters to life for a social event (afternoon tea, a night of clubbing, perhaps a world cruise), who would they be and what would the event be?

--Lazarus Long, Honor Harrington and Fiver from Watership Down. It would be a poker game and BBQ. Heheheheheheh.

You are told you can’t die until you read the most boring novel on the planet. While this immortality is great for awhile, eventually you realize it’s past time to die. Which book would you expect to get you a nice grave?

--Flowers for Algernon. Quite possibly the most overused book for high-school drama EVAH! Can't stand it.

Come on, we’ve all been there. Which book have you pretended, or at least hinted, that you’ve read, when in fact you’ve been nowhere near it?

Haven't done that. My normal question, if I haven't read the book, is "Can I borrow it?"

As an addition to the last question, has there been a book that you really thought you had read, only to realize when you read a review about it/go to ‘reread’ it that you haven’t? Which book?

--I'm sure there has, but I can't remember it. Wait - maybe "The Good Earth" by Pearl S. Buck. Hell, I don't know. I read books like other people watch TV.

You’ve been appointed Book Adviser to a VIP (who’s not a big reader). What’s the first book you’d recommend and why? (if you feel like you’d have to know the person, go ahead of personalize the VIP).

--You mean, other than being the book adviser to the Ragin' Mrs? She's a VIP, after all! OK, OK.... I suppose "Founding Father", which is a biography of George Washington, who I consider to be one of the most, if not THE most important man in American history.

A good fairy comes and grants you one wish: you will have perfect reading comprehension in the foreign language of your choice. Which language do you go with?

--Korean. I can probably learn any western language if I have enough time, but if you don't start learning Korean from day one in your life, you're screwed. And I'd love to finally figure out what the hell all those signs were saying in Munsan.

A mischievous fairy comes and says that you must choose one book that you will reread once a year for the rest of your life (you can read other books as well). Which book would you pick?

--Parliament of Whores, by P.J. O'Rourke, just to remind myself how worthless and corrupt politicians are.

I know that the book blogging community, and its various challenges, have pushed my reading borders. What’s one bookish thing you ‘discovered’ from book blogging (maybe a new genre, or author, or new appreciation for cover art-anything)?

--for the Ragin' Mrs., it would be tailoring. For me, it would be a new appreciation for other Founding Fathers.

That good fairy is back for one final visit. Now, she’s granting you your dream library! Describe it. Is everything leather bound? Is it full of first edition hardcovers? Pristine trade paperbacks? Perhaps a few favorite authors have inscribed their works?

It's not just a library, it's a study. Good solid wooden bookshelves from floor to ceiling, with glass doors to protect the books if I wanted to smoke a cigar at night. How to manuals over there, fiction and fantasy over there, historical to the right, philosophy to the left, and general manuals all the way in the back. The walls would literally be covered in books. I'd have tables, chairs, sofas and ottomans in the middle of the room. A big mahogany computer desk for me, with a mini bar (big enough for a couple of bottles, some glasses, and a humidor). The fastest internet connection possible. It wouldn't just be a place to sit and read, although you could certainly do that if you wished, but it would be a place to study. And I'd have as many leather-bound books as I could fit in there. Because I like leather bound hardback books. They just have a feel to them.

OK, that's it. Anyone else want to give it a try?

No comments: