Sunday, September 09, 2007

The sweeter side of Mexico

My Brother in Law(BiL) has been talking about Mexican Sweetbreads almost since I got here. We *finally* made it to the shop.

It was a small hole-in-the-wall bakery with maybe 20 feet of counter space. We went in the afternoon and they were still bringing out new sweetbreads. The American pastries have nothing on these. They are not too sweet, very tasty and despite everyones insistence otherwise I am sure quite laden with fat. I have no way of knowing for sure since I was told they do not share the recipes with *any one*. This is a long time established business with original recipes from Mexico.

But, I digress, these are AWESOME. The Raging_Dave will get his treat soon enough. If you are in the Phoenix area, I *highly* encourage you to stop in. Ordering by pointing is acceptable. I don't know how much English they speak as my BiL did the ordering. But, he says they are better than *any* of the shops in LA!

So, here is the 411 on this bakery:

La Purisima Bakery
4533 W Glendale Ave
Glendale, AZ 85301
(623) 842-1400

No comments: