Tuesday, March 14, 2006

A true gentleman

While the Mrs. was recouperating in our room on Saturday, Cap'n Jim was kind enough to drive all the way from Galveston to San Antonio to take me to a much needed range session.

No, I won't show my targets, because I'm too damn embarassed. To say that I'm out of practice is the understatement of the year. I shot like hell. Meanwhile, Jim was punching itty-bitty little holes in his targets with five and six shot groups.

My grouping improved as my body remembered how the hell it was supposed to function, but I still didn't obtain anything resembling my groupings before I left for Puerto Rico. It doubled my resolve to find some way to get to a range in San Juan. If I'm there long enough to get the multiple permits I need just to buy a gun and bring it home.

Anyways, after the range we picked up the Mrs. and headed out to Club Humidor, where we all enjoyed a good cigar and some coffee. The Mrs. snapped a photo of Jim and I making our selection.



I had to wipe the drool off my chin just walking into that humidor. There are cigar shops in Puerto Rico that are smaller in total size than that humidor. After picking my jaw up off the floor and selecting a Hoyo de Monteray robusto, we retired to the lounge area to light up and enjoy. After our cigars, we headed to a local restaurant for some cajun food.

All in all, it was one hell of a good day, and I don't think I can thank Jim enough for taking the time to drive 250 miles each way just to show the Mrs. and I around San Antonio. So Jim, thank you once again.

As for the Mrs., she's recovering as good as can be expected given the circumstances. Her walking is still limited, and she uses her wheelchair about half the time. But it's an improvement from pre-operation, so we'll take it. As her back heals more, she'll be able to do more activity, but it'll take about four to six months for her to return to full strength.

And I'm already reminding her on an hourly basis to not overdo it. I think she's gonna kill me soon. And as she does, I'll be screaming "DON'T STRESS YOUR BACK! DON'T HURT YOUR BACK!".

Ah, the joys of living with someone who doubles as Xena.

No comments: