Thursday, July 08, 2004

Reader Mail

A reader sent me this story, which I had seen around, but didn't quite know what to say about it.

WASHINGTON – The United Nations has turned down a controversial request by nine members of the U.S. Congress to assign international observers to the U.S. presidential election in November.

The request came in the form of a letter drafted by Rep. Eddie Bernice Johnson, D-Texas, and signed by eight other members of the House.


All the signers are Democrats, by the way. Why am I not surprised?

However, the UN (showing a remarkable presence of thought) turned them down. Which is a good thing, because if I had seen any damn blue helmets at my polling place on election day, I'd have gotten my guns. So would a lot of other people I know.

By the way, if any of these congresscritters are from your state, I'd suggest getting rid of them at the first opportunity.

Besides Johnson, the other representatives signing the letter to Annan – all Democrats – were Julia Carson of Indiana; Jerrold Nadler, Edolphus Towns, Joseph Crowley and Carolyn B. Maloney, all of New York; Raul Grijalva of Arizona, Corrine Brown of Florida, Elijah E. Cummings of Maryland, Danny K. Davis of Illinois and Michael M. Honda of California.

I was actually astonished that my local lunatic, Jim McDermott, wasn't on this list. Thanks for the email, AC.

No comments: