Sunday, July 25, 2004

Fresh Back From Vacation

I've just arrived back from a week at the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Didn't do much there - just swam and fished and generally lazed around - reckon I got my fill of exhausting vacations when I was young and single and drinking.

Wanna see some pics?

Sure you do.

For using such bandwidth, I hereby submit an apology to the Dear Reader, whom I suspect is using DSL or cable anyway.

Peep:




The Chesapeake and Delaware (C&D) Canal Bridge



Could be that this doesn't deserve to be here first since this was shot on the way home (northbound) but en route to NC it was barely dawn and I was driving pre-coffee so two hands on the wheel was the order of the day. Also I opted for a digital camera for less than eight hundred bucks so low light focusing is lousy.

This bridge is on State Road 1 in Delaware. If you wish, you can read some about it here. A better bet for a tangential click appears below, in my opinion.




The Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel



An unbelievable achievement in engineering, featuring 12 miles of low-level trestle, 2 one-mile-long tunnels, 2 bridges, 2 miles of causeway, 4 manmade islands and 5-1/2 miles of approach roads.



If you read the Facts & Figures, you can note that the same engineering firm designed what is now the northbound span in 1964 and the southbound span in 1999. I find that neat.

In the above shots, we are headed southbound.



Inside the Thimble Shoals Tunnel.

FYI: The Bridge-Tunnel is on Virginia State Road 13, between Cape Charles and Virginia Beach.




Duck, North Carolina



For whatever it is worth.

Good evening, all.

No comments: