Sunday, December 07, 2003

I should have been at work today

But instead, I was at home, coughing up a lung or two. Let this be a lesson to you all - when your co-workers come in to work sick, kick their asses right back home. Sorry about the light posting, but I've spent most of the day in a drugged out haze on my bed, with the girlfriend taking care of me. Did I mention just how much my girlfriend rocks? She does. Trust me.

If you haven't figured out that today is the anniversary of the Pearl Harbor Bombing, I'll remind you of that right now. December 7th, 1941, a day that will live in infamy. Analog Kid of RNS has a good post up on it.

If you haven't read the Rottweile's fisking of Hanoi Jane, ya gotta do so now. I for one can't believe that he managed to read the whole thing without projectile vomiting. Hell, I had to stop the girlfriend from grabbing the 12 gauge and blasting the computer after she read half of it.

Sharp Knife brings up the latest Mark Styen column, and it's a good one.

Let me come at it this way. I love borders, the more the merrier – town lines, county, state, and, of course, national. Borders symbolize one of the few remaining constraints on government: You don’t like the grade school here in town? Move ten miles up the road. You don’t want to pay Vermont sales tax? Drive over the river and shop in New Hampshire. Arianna Huffington huffs against “tax loopholes for fat cats”, but I’d say the ability to rent a post office box in Bermuda or the Cayman Islands is a “loophole” in one of the original 16th century senses – an aperture to let in light and fresh air. The fact that there’s somewhere else to go to is the ultimate limitation on government. Borders give people choices – and, to put it in a bumper sticker, “I’m Pro-Choice And I Vote With My Feet”. When starry-eyed utopians speak of a “world without borders”, you can pretty much guess what kind of a place the one-world one-party state would be, with tax rates starting at 60%, about where they are in Sweden right now.

Gotta love the way he slices the bullshit right off and gets to the meat of the matter. That's all for now. It's time for me to retreat back into my hole where I can cought up yet another lung, while trying not to get the girlfriend sick. Did I mention how much my girlfriend rocks? She does. Trust me.

No comments: