Friday, December 12, 2003

Holy HOT DAMN!

Since the budget is short, the girlfriend and I have been making many of the gifts for the family instead of buying them all. I just finished a batch of hot pepper sauce for my brother, and holy hell, it is SMOKING! I used the jalapenos that we grew this summer, half a head of garlic, two limes, one lemon, some onions from the garden, two habaneros, and about two tablespoons of mixed peppercorns. And vodka. Goooooooooooood vodka.

Roast the jalapenos, garlic, and peppercorns in the oven. Sprinkle them with olive oil before you put them in. Let them roast for about an hour, then take them out. Toss everything except the vodka into a food processor and grind it down as fine as you can. Add the vodka bit by bit to thin it out, depending on how thin of a sauce you like.

We eventually ended up using over half the fifth of vodka, (And it's good potato vodka, none of that cheap grain alcohol shit), and we came up with a decent sauce. When I tasted it, the first thing that hit was the flavor of citrus and smoke, and then the burn came on. OOOOOOOOOOOOO YAH! My brother loves hot sauce. He puts it on all his food. If he isn't careful, this will have him running to the bathroom with a bowl of ice cubes in the morning. It's DAMN GOOD SAUCE! I put it into two nice glass bottles, corked them, and dipped the tops in wax to seal them.

I think I may have to make some more!

UPDATE: I forgot to mention, just use the juice of the lemons and limes, and some zest from the peel. If you chop the whole thing up you'll get a nasty bitter taste.

No comments: