Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Why I Don't Write Books

There's always someone out there who can write my argument better than I can. FOR EXAMPLE, on the topic of gays in the military - I give you Fred.

Here, really, is the objection to having the openly homosexual in the military. Men do not like being eyed by other men in the barracks and showers. Pretending that the issue is discrimination rather than sexual privacy makes harder arguing against homosexuality in the barracks, which is why the pretense is made. The reality is that soldiers don't want a gunny sergeant, who they know is gay as an Easter bonnet, who has the power to make life miserable, leering at them if the towel drops.


If I suggested that male soldiers be permitted to shower with the women, everyone would understand without explanation the objections of the females. If I then suggested that I suffered discrimination because I couldn't shower with the women, people would laugh.


But, for reasons that elude me, the objection to unwanted intimacy is thought frivolous if the sexual predator is of the same sex as the prey. It isn't frivolous.



And yes, I'm sure there are plenty of soldiers out there who have a latrine that's only shared by three other people. But open bay showers still exist in the US Army, folks. They haven't gone away. Open latrines (with stalls for the toilets) are still the norm.

Is there any group of women out there who would like me to shower with them, go to the bathroom with them, live with them, and basically invade every moment of their private lives? No? Why not?

Now, let me ask you another question - how many men would love to shower with the women? Use their latrines with them? Sleep in their tent? Live in their room? How many people would like to have a 21 year old male to shower with, sleep around, and live with their 19 year old daughter?

Now, don't give me the answer to those questions. Instead, think about your reaction when you read them.

Now, answer me this: What is the different between MY sexual reaction to a group of young women, and the sexual reaction of a gay man to a group of young men? Do you begin to see the problems and complications that can and will arise?

Too many people try to phrase this debate around the gay person's personal abilities. That is the wrong view of things. Under no circumstances am I making judgement on someone's personal abilities. What I care about is the UNIT. The TEAM, be it an actual team, a squad, a platoon or a company. And nobody can point out where having open homosexuals in the military do more good than harm. The forum where I got the Fred link also has a commenter who nailed it:

Straight people are always going to be a bit uncomfortable living with gay people. Just as men and women will always be uncomfortable in same sex dormitory style housing. For pretty much the same reasons, even if you were to get rid of all the bias.


It is hard to function on a ‘friend’ level with someone who might see you something as more when you want nothing of the sort, regardless of whether they actually do or not. Fat chick or gay guy it’s the same exact effect.


Let me just say this once, for everyone to hear.

YOU CANNOT BE UNCOMFORTABLE WITH THE PEOPLE WHO'S LIVES DEPEND ON YOU, AND WHO LITERALLY HOLD YOUR LIFE IN THEIR HANDS.

Now, for everyone who wants to operate under the "Well, the should do x, y, or z" principal with regard to how people act, let me just say that I don't only deal with what should happen, I also deal with what can or will happen. It's all well and good to say "Well, people should just behave themselves." Yes, they should, and if it was that easy we wouldn't need cops or a justice system. But despite what people SHOULD do, I have to deal with what people WILL do, because the lives of my squad depend on it.

No comments: