Tuesday, April 18, 2023

I'm so old I can remember when Portland was nice

Parents took a trip there sometime in the early 90's.  I remember the city being green.  Plant life everywhere.  Trees, bushes, ivy, and then the blue of the river.  It was beautiful.  I enjoyed the city, and I enjoyed all the funky, quirky things you could find around there.

The last time I went back was about 2011 or so.  Pioneer Courthouse Square smelled like piss.  But it hadn't fallen into a pit yet.  But now?

I think it's safe to say I'll never go back to Portland.

The price of fentanyl and meth in Portland is a fraction of the price found in other cities. The measure has been effective in making those drugs easily available all over the city. It has been effective in decreasing livability due to crime by drug addicts. Combined with our “compassionate” policies of free tents, free tarps, free sleeping bags, free food, and lack of penalties for shoplifting car break-ins, and bicycle theft, the low drug prices and easy drug availability have been effective in attracting homeless addicts from all over the country. They are overdosing and dying on our streets in record numbers.

Society has forgotten some very important lessons, and when they do re-learn those lessons the cost of the lessons is going to be hard, painful and very expensive.  Do you not let people shit in the street.  You do not reward criminal behavior.  You do not allow drug addicts and mentally ill people run your city.  You do not allow open drug use in public.  

Portland is well on it's way to becoming Detroit West.  REI is leaving Portland.  Walmart is shutting down stores due to rampant theft.  Small businesses are fleeing because they can't afford to keep paying for repairs and theft and vandalism.

And quite frankly, I don't need to visit yet another progressive city where I'll be called all sorts of names for saying that you shouldn't allow a crackhead to smoke fentanyl and then shit on the sidewalk.  There are plenty of other places that can use my money.

Somehow, I think I'm not the only person saying this.  Just a feeling.

No comments: