Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Open secrets time - I don't own at AR-15

 I didn't like the M-16 I was issued back as a yoot, and I don't like the M-4 I'm forced to use now.  I never got into the whole AR-15 thing, because it's not a rifle I particularly like.  I don't like the gas-operation, I don't like the caliber.  It's just not a thing that I wanted to own.

But watching what's going on, I'm actually thinking of getting one.  Lots of reasons why, most of end with "Because FUCK YOU that's why!"

Of course, now they've hit nosebleed prices, and good luck finding any 223 ammo, because there's a lot of people who feel the same why I do.  Chances are I'll pick up another shotgun, this one with a much shorter barrel than my bird gun.

4 comments:

Pigpen51 said...

My feelings exactly. A gun I could buy for less than 400$ a year and a half ago, now runs well over 600$.
My son has an AR and an AK. My other son has an AR, I haven't spoken to either of them as to how they plan on handling a possible ban/registration. Which is pretty much the same thing.
As for a shotgun, I bought an ATI home defense type of 12 gauge, 18" barrel, pump action. And I used it, with it's cylinder bore, to take the first white tail deer that I have killed in over 30 years. I used 1 oz. slugs and shot the spike horn from some 50-60 yards, knocked him down first shot.
I have a 1916 spanish mauser, with a .308 barrel, but I have a problem with the bolt. I had to order a new firing pin, and I can't close the bolt with a round in the chamber. I plan on taking it to a gunsmith, as soon as I find one around here. It will probably cost 100$ to get it fixed, maybe a bit more. I have 3 boxes of ammo for that gun, and I will either keep it, or sell it or trade it, for some other gun that I would like.

Angus McThag said...

Getting access to modern cleaning solvents and other cleaning materials than issue went a long way towards getting me to forgive the AR.

Break-Free CLP, a toothbrush, some patches and a cleaning rod weren't sufficient.

Oddly, I never worried about the caliber. The Soviet change to 5.45 validated it to me. They had access to wound data we didn't from Vietnam and they changed to a similar round.

Still, my first love and truest love is still the FAL. Long and heavy though she be.

Ragin' Dave said...

Well, I used to have a deer rifle, but all my firearms were lost in a boating accident in the middle of the Mississippi river. Damn shame, that.

p2 said...

Run a standard 870 for defense of the realm, first round is 7 1/2, next 2 are 00, last 4 are 1oz Fosters. That’s backed up with the ol’ reliable S&W 625 in 45 Colt. Or it would be if my entire safe and its contents hadn’t fallen into the Yukon during the last earthquake. Shame, that, cause my scotch cabinet and humidor were unscathed.