Monday, March 16, 2020

It looks like it's riding season again

I had one of those "DUH!" moments the other week, as I was looking at the weather report and scratching my head.

See, I always thought of Utah as "northern", because it's on the southern border of Idaho, and Idaho is "North", at least where the USA is concerned.  Mountains, colder winters, etcetera.  And because I spent much of my growing-up time in Idaho, I just naturally thought that Utah was North as well, especially when I lived here in the mid-90's for a few months and saw all the snow.

But take a gander at a map, and you'll see that Salt Lake City is just north of the Mason-Dixon line.  As in Maryland and Pennsylvania.  Which in the grand scheme of things isn't very North at all.  It's not Washington.  It's not Montana.  We're pretty much smack-dab in the middle of the country as far as latitude goes.  This state literally sits between Idaho and Arizona.

Which means that when I looked at the weather report and saw I could ride today, in the middle of March, I should not be surprised.

Good thing I take care of my riding leathers.

And tomorrow is the high and holy feast day of St. Patrick.  The boss has giving me permission to wear a kilt.  Muah-hah-hah!

Just a note - there will be no kilt on a motorcycle.  Not at 40 degrees.  I don't want to experience that kind of shrinkage on the interstate.

2 comments:

Inchworm said...

not to mention distracting flapping. (draw your own conclusions)

Ragin' Dave said...

Yeah, I'd probably cause a few crashes here and there. If I could get people to actually put their phones down, that is.