Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Stop making our troops sitting ducks

For the love of God, allow us to protect ourselves.

How is it that the Saudi terrorist attacker at the Pensacola Naval Air Station was shot dead by local Pensacola sheriff’s deputies, while not a single sailor – officer or enlisted – had any firearm to defend himself? Well, much as President Trump promised to shut down visas from countries like Saudi Arabia, he also promised to end the gun-free zone status for our soldiers on bases. The time has come for him to fulfill both promises.

One key lesson for a leader to learn is this:  You never give an order that you know will not be followed.  This is part of why allowing women in the military was such a bad idea.  You put men and women together in stressful situations, and then say "Now don't have sex, you young, fit, highly trained young adults!"

You think that order will be followed?  When I was a single troop back in the 90's, I got more action from the military than I ever got from civilians.  I have stories that even a pr0n producer would read and say "Nah, can't happen."  I know what happens when you mix men and women in the barracks, folks.

The current order that boggles the mind?  "Don't carry any kind of firearm to protect yourself, even if you're a concealed carry permit holder and can protect yourself anywhere outside a military base."

I'm pals with one of the people tasked with securing my tiny little post.  His new CG came in and wanted to do a weapons check on everyone coming on to the base.  "I want to see if anyone has weapons!" was his cry.  My pal looked him in the eye and said "If you do this, 50% of the people won't show up for work, and you will find weapons on just about everybody else."

The brass has given an order that will not be followed.  Period.  It boggles the mind that the military headshed thinks that people who are highly trained on firearms will just shrug their shoulders and say "Oh, gosh, I can't carry a gun now!  Oh well!"

Part of why the Ragin' Mrs. and I refuse to live on a military post is that we would have to register every single firearm we have.  We looked at that regulation, and we simply said "Nope.  Not happening."

If I have to be in public, I'm carrying.  That's why I have the carry permit.  It's that simple.  "Oh, but Dave, nothing is going to happen!  Why are you so paranoid?"  For the same reason I keep a fire extinguisher in my kitchen - because if you need it and you don't have it, your world burns down.  As our military brothers and sisters are finding out on a regular basis.

No comments: