Sunday, July 06, 2014

New pair of Docs

I have horrible feet when it comes to buying shoes.  A high instep, high arch, tall feet, the only normal thing about my feet is that I'm a 10 ½ regular.  But couple a normal size with all the other characteristics, and I can't find decent shoes to save my life.  I'll shop for days just to get a pair of running shoes, because if they don't fit just right I'll be hobbled after I use them.

Anyways, I had a pair of Dr. Marten's sandals that the Ragin' Mrs. and gotten for me back when we were stationed in Puerto Rico.  So we're talking seven or eight years ago.  And these poor sandals are just beat to hell by now; stitching coming out, leather peeling from the foot-bed, sole worn smooth and flat, just plain worn out.

I've been shopping for a new pair of sandals for about two weeks, trying to find a pair that didn't pinch my feet at the wrong spot, and give me enough arch support, and so on and so forth.  We finally just went to the Dr. Marten's store in Santa Monica so I could try on another pair.  And I found the perfect pair, after two weeks of searching!  They fit, they feel good, they don't do weird things to my gait, and I bought 'em and walked out of the store with them on my feet.  And the crowd sang Hallelujah!

Now, we had a seminarian with us that day; he's going through training with our church, and the Bishop wanted him to get out and about, so he came with us.  He's wearing his cassock, and his collar, and we're walking around Santa Monica together after I got my sandals.  We pass buy a group of people who are evangelizing in the middle of the Third Street Promenade, and all of the sudden my  red alert siren goes off in my head.  I look closer, and all those folks handing out pamphlets asking if you know your creator?  Muslims.  They're talking about the Koran, and Allah this and Allah that, and they are all staring at this young man in his collar and cassock with contempt and hatred in their eyes.

I looked at this young man, who was also recognizing just what was going on and said "Abbé, I think we may want to pick it up a step."

I never expected Muslims to be out there like Jehovah's Witnesses, but there they were.  And they were NOT happy to see a traditional Catholic walking around.  Hell, we didn't even get that much of a stink-eye from the flaming homosexual guy at the Dr. Marten's store.

But anyway, there we go.  How's your weekend going?

No comments: