Saturday, November 14, 2009

What is "Country"

I only bring this up because I see that Taylor Swift has won a whole host of CMA awards for her "country" music.

Now don't get me wrong, I think that Taylor Swift has buttloads of talent. But from what I've heard of her last album, she's a bubblegum pop artist that some music director is directing at the country music market.

Hell, I think that Miranda Lambert has more "country" in one song that Taylor Swift has in her entire last album. Want proof? Compare and contrast:

Kerosene - Miranda Lambert

You Belong With Me - Taylor Swift

White Liar - Miranda Lambert

Love Story - Taylor Swift

Gunpowder and Lead - Miranda Lambert


Taylor Swift makes me think of high school cheerleaders at some Prep School on the East Coast, playing in the local talent show. Miranda Lambert makes me think of a concert at a honkey-tonk somewhere in Texas.

So what is "country"? I dunno if I can define it, but I'll take Miranda Lambert over Taylor Swift anyday.

This has been your non political post for the day. And now I'm off, because I'll be busy all friggin day.

No comments: