Thursday, November 12, 2009

Random Thoughts

on custom guns. Phil links to a few folks who know a thing or two about custom guns. Phil has done work on his own guns as well.

As for me? Meh.

Look, I can appreciate a custom gun, trust me on that. But a lot of the desire to build a custom gun is the desire to say "Lookie at what I made!" And I can completely understand that, because I do that with leather and various other things. I think I bored fifty people to death showing off the holster I made for my 1911. "Look! I made it all by myself!"

Special needs also create custom guns. You go to Boomershoot, and I'm willing to bet that most the guns there are either custom or have had a substantial amount of work done on them by their owners. And if you're trying to tag a target at 1000+ meters, you pretty much need a custom gun.

Me? All I want to do is take down deer at 100 yards. And given the woods here in Wisconsin, I'll be doing it at LESS than 100 yards, just because the trees are too thick for you to have a long shot at a deer. I don't need a custom gun for that. Hell, since my Mosin is acting shitty, I'll be doing all my hunting with my muzzle loader, and a .50 cal lead roundball should be perfectly up to the task.

I can appreciate a custom gun. I just don't think I'll be owning one.

No comments: