Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Solution for Lyudmilla

So even if this thing shoots straight with the bayonet on it, that's really not an option if I want to go tramping around the woods in these parts hunting Bambi. With the bayonet, this thing measures out to five and a half feet long. I'm only six feet here folks. And it's hard enough for me to tromp through the woods without anything in my hands. The rifle without the bayonet was pushing the limit. Adding the bayonet ain't gonna make things better in that regard.

So, hunting with the bayonet is out. Getting it to sight in without the bayonet would mean moving the front sight post so far to the side that it would be hanging out like a Democrat at the Welfare Office.

BUT.... I's been doing a lil' snoopin' online and stuff.

My solution - a drop-in weaver rail from these guys, with one of these sitting on top of it. The weaver rail replaces the rear sight (just punch the pin out and screw the rail in), and the red-dot scope means I don't have to worry about eye relief and can position my head where ever I need it for a good sight picture.

Is it perfect? No. Does it do what I want it to do? Yes. And with the drop in rail, I can remove it and replace the rear sight anytime I need just an "authentic" rifle. There's no permanent modification I have to do.

And yes, her name is Lyudmilla. Contingent on her being able to shoot with some degree of accuracy at the range.

No comments: