Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Hagged Out

I feel like absolute ass today. The Raging Girlfriend and I have adopted the motto "We'll sleep when we're dead" for the past couple of months, and it's starting to bite us in the ass in terms of our heath. As I was coming home from my drill, I got nailed by a nasty head cold that is now moving down into my chest. Ug. Nothing says fun like constantly sneezing while driving over Snoqualamie Pass at 80mph. At two in the morning.

However, the first drill went smoothly. Mostly inprocessing for the first day. Get your gear issued, meet the Company commander and 1SG. Fill out buttloads of paperwork, hear all the briefings and speeches, yada yada yada. The second day I was able to sit in on some of the training classes that they were giving; Traumatic Brain Injury, Proper use of Restraints, and Blood Transfusion. I was surprised by how much of this information I already know, but then again I do work in a hospital. I'm just not medical staff. Yet.

It was somewhat odd stepping into BDU's again for the first time in years, but I got used to it real quick. Much of what the military pounds into your head stays there for the rest of your life. Drill and Ceremony is one of those things. Fall in. Dress Right Dress. Stand At Ease. Orders barked out that you react to almost out of instinct, even after a four year absence.

I also found out when I'm most likely leaving for the 91W training, which means I have a date for leaving Seattle. When I go to that course, I'm leaving this city and never looking back. Both the Raging Girlfriend and I are ready to shake the Seattle dirt from our shoes and leave. We're now one step closer.

Life is changing, and it's changing for the better. Now I get to catch up on all the news I missed.

No comments: