Saturday, April 03, 2004

My first sunburn of the year.

Well, yesterday I'd cleared out the last garden bed, mowed the lawn, and was pretty pleased with myself, when my eye caught the two garden beds I hadn't even bothered with. Who ever was in this house before us didn't do squat with the beds, and they were just a mess. If I actually owned the house instead of renting it, I would have plowed that entire section of yard under and turn it into an actual garden, with all the trimmings. I had planned on just weed-wacking the beds, putting plastic over them and letting them lay fallow for the year. Instead, those two beds just glared at me in an accusatory fashion. Blah.

So I cleared them. Four damned hours for TWO F**CKING GARDEN BEDS, but they're cleared and ready for tomatos. My arms are sunburned to hell, but it was worth it. I also learned a few things about the previous owners and tenants - they didn't know jack shit about gardening, and they never took the proper time to deal with the gardens they had. I was pulling rocks the size of my fist out of those beds, and the weeds had a root network that stretched as far as the eye could see. I was on my hands and knees pulling weed roots, because if you leave just a little bit of it, it'll grow back. Bastardized plants. Four hours, and I'm not letting a single damn weed get their grubby roots on those beds again. I am THROUGH with clearing weeds for the month.

Oh, and in the meantime, I smoked some pork steaks, and I'm in the middle of making my own BBQ sauce. Heading on over to the future brother-in-law's house for dinner. He just bought a house, and it has a damn cool indoor BBQ pit in the kitchen. Unreal, but nice to have. I hope he has enough alcohol to help deal with my back. I'm not meant to be bent over gardening for four hours. Blah. I shoulda just hired some young kids to do it.

Anyways, I'm going to go fiddle with the BBQ sauce. Now go read TVE's post and send off a thank you to Spike TV.

No comments: