Tuesday, July 08, 2003

Good evening, everyone!

I hope you all had a great 4th. I spent Saturday in a suit of armor, bashing the crap out of anything that came my way. Got quite a few good bruises, too. It's called the SCA, or in long form, the Society for Creative Anachronisms. The ultimate in stress relief. And in a few small circles, it's also been called the Society for Consenting Adults, which when I was a young Army boy fit my bill. Now, the girlfriend and I pass on the wild parties and find better ways to spend our time. But boy, when I was younger....

Anywho, I'm back in (mostly) one piece, and ready to continue. Here's a few links, courtesy of Emporer Misha I, the Anti Idiotarian Rottweiler.

First of all, just to get it out of the way, the British Parliment has found that Tony Blair did not lie about WMD. I hold no hope that the Donks will look at this and drop the subject, but it's nice to know that our ally isn't getting reamed because of it. I don't like Blair's domestic policy. In fact, his domestic policy reminds me of my worst "Democrats take over the country" nightmare. That being said, when faced with the Iraq problem he was the best we could have had at our side. That's got to be worth something.

Come to think of it, I'm not growing fond of some of Bush's domestic policy, but that's a post for a later date.

Next up, Iran! No, we're not going to bomb it. Yet. But the UN has asked Iran to be allowed to maybe pretty please have a little peek at the nuclear plants. Iran, to nobody's suprise, told the UN to piss up a rope.

Now, I'm not a betting man, but you would think that the turbaned twits would take a look left..... and then a look right.... figure out what it's between, and then figure out what the USA does to countries that it considers a serious threat. My guess is that the US is helping out the Iranian students as we speak, but that's just my opinion. If we can take down Iran without firing a shot, I would be jumping for joy. As much as I'm a warmonger, I have no doubts about the cost of war. My buddy Hodge is sitting in Iraq right now, sweating out his last drop of sweat, and wondering when he's coming home. I wouldn't wish his duty to be extended for almost anything, but if we can topple another terrorist-supporting theocracy without a battle, I think he would be willing to stay a little longer.

And the newest thing for those who haven't heard of it yet (and if you haven't where have you been?) the EU is still staining their pants over their new top dog, Italy's Silvio Berlusconi. For those who haven't heard, Berlusconi responded to an insult with a few choice words of his own. Not the smartest thing to be sure, but this is a man who has been grating under the snide remarks, condesending tone and imperial demands of France and Germany, the self appointed masters of the EU. From the tone of his words, I'd say he's had just about enough. And from what I've read, people think he's called a German politician a Nazi. Not so. From everything I've been able to read about, (and trust me, when someone sticks a bee into France's bonnet, I'm going to gleefully read about it), Berlusconi stated that this German politician would make a great Nazi Prison Guard in a new film being made in Italy.

If you were to just take that on face value, it's pretty crappy. Petty, vile, and not really a worth insult from a leader of Italy, hmmmm? But lets look at what isn't in the major newspapers, shall we?

Found from the NZoom - One News website, we find a much more complete record of what was said. Berlusconi didn't call this German a Nazi, he stated that this German would be perfect for the part of a Kapo in an Italian film about a WWII concentration camp.

What's a Kapo, you ask? Why, a Kapo was a prisoner, usually a petty criminal, used by the Nazis to enforce discipline. They were known for being toadys and bootlickers to the Nazis as long as they lived and made other camp prisoners miserable.

Let's take this insult in a new light then, shall we? Because I think what Berlusconi said is damn near perfect.

Berlusconi is the Left's worst nightmare. He's a self-made billionare, a driven man who rose to the top on his own, and who refuses to play by their rules. Even worse in their eyes, he's in POWER and WON'T LISTEN TO THEIR ORDERS! He's unapologetic, harsh, curt, abrupt, and everything else you need to be in order to make billions of dollars in Europe. He can also be witty and humorous, leading one British MP to remark about his "Jekyll and Hyde nature". (scroll down, the quote's at the bottom) But it's the fact that he doesn't kowtow to the Franco-Prussion hegimony that scares the EU the most. Here's one dog who won't be whipped, and it's driving them nuts. I'd look for the EU Left to do anything they can to make Berlusconi's life miserable. And I'd also look for Berlusconi to toss everything in their face and laugh. That's what he's been doing for years, and I don't think he's going to stop now.

In other news, I've just had an illusion shattered. I don't know how to go on.... (snort, chuckle, wheeze) I don't know about you, but I predict that this girl is going to be a centerfold for Playboy in the "maybe if I show my body naked I can sell one more album" bid in... say... five years. Any takers?

For news across the pond, we have this Samizdata, go. Read. The man has the goods on what's happening in the UK, and he updates us daily. Good stuff, if you like to keep abreast of the news.

That's all for tonight. Gotta get some sleep. I'll see you all tomorrow.

No comments: