Wednesday, June 30, 2004

What's it like to be "rich"?

Have you ever wondered what it's like to be "rich"? No, I don't mean rich like Bill Gates. I mean "rich", as defined by Democrats.

Here is a good description, from one of the geese that lays the golden eggs:

Confessions of a "Rich" Businessman

John Kerry wants to repeal tax cuts for upper income Americans. Now there's a surprise: a Democratic Presidential candidate attacks the rich. But who are "the rich"? Well, as Democratic politicians define the "fortunate few at the top of society," my wife and I are, or close to it.

We're only recognized as rich quadrennially, of course--when campaigns are in full swing. But even if we make the cut solely during election times, it's fun being rich. Wintering in Aspen, summering in Nantucket, luxury cars, fancy prep schools and Ivy League colleges, hobnobbing with movie starlets and marrying heiresses, I'm living large. Oops! No, that's John Kerry's life. Come to think of it, I drive a Ford Taurus, my kids have all gone to public schools, and my vacations usually involve economy motels and breakfast at McDonald's...


This is a good read. Class warfare usually invokes images of limousines, tuxedos, sports cars, and yachts. This column provides a more realistic view of upper 5%-hood and, in general, the people paying the country's taxes and creating our jobs.



No comments: