Tuesday, October 25, 2022

Unexpected

 A a looooong time ago, your humble narrator wasn't exactly a good Catholic boy.  Oh, I went to church and I sang in the choir, but I followed the Church's teachings about as well as a Great Dane dances ballet.  Which meant that when young Dave found a delightful young woman who's primary interest was in getting me naked and screwing like rabbits, I didn't hesitate one bit.

This delightful young woman was blonde, stacked, and for some unknown reason wanted me in all kinds of ways.  I still to this day never figured out why she was attracted to me but I wasn't about to bother her by asking, I was just going to enjoy the marathon shagging sessions that resulted.  

Fast forward a year - I'm now in the Army, and just got back from Basic Training.  The delightful young woman and I meet up once again.  Much illicit fun ensued, right before I got sent to Korea for a year.  But, as a way of showing her that I really intended to come back, I handed her my high school class ring.

There was a whole lot of story and action that occurred between those two periods, but I'll save that for another day.

We keep up correspondence while I'm overseas, until one day the letters just....  stop.  This kind of shit happens.  I get over it, and when I come back from Korea I try to find her, but she's gone in the wind.

Now, fast forward to last year, when I get a weird email asking me if I'm the Dave from specific place and specific time.  I respond, and the next email is "Hey, this is (name redacted) and I've been trying to find you for years.  I wanted to give you your ring back."

Turns out she's happily married, two kids, good life, and she wanted to close that particular chapter of her past.

Got the ring in the mail yesterday.  It doesn't fit anymore, as my fingers are a bit more beat up and gnarly than they were when I was 18.  It's still beat to shit because I would wear it when I was drumming, and the repeated hammering from a drumstick on the ring turned the band into more of an oval than a circle.  

I wish that delightful lady the best.  I'll dash off a note thanking her for the ring.  Some things come out of the blue, and this was one of them.


No comments: