Sunday, March 20, 2022

I've actually had kind of a busy weekend

 Spent a good amount of time yesterday making a beef sausage.  The wife and I try to use every last bit of an animal that we can.  Waste not want not.  So we had a bunch of beef heart and beef liver.  I normally make a simple beef sausage with the heart.  Grind it up and nobody knows it's the heart, and you can get beef heart pretty cheap.  But the liver was from grass fed cows.  Good stuff.  Lots of nutrition.  You might not know this, but the bio-availability of nutrients in beef liver is superior to the meat.  Your body can break down liver and use it better than it can a ribeye steak.  Vitamins A and D, iron, all the good stuff.

Problem is, I can't stand the taste of liver.  So how can you prepare liver so you don't know it's liver?  Grind it up with other beef, make a sausage out of it, and then smoke it.  

So that's what we did.  Garlic, paprika, mustard seed, red wine, salt, and a little bit of heat.  We had twelve pounds of it.  We let it set up in the fridge overnight and put it in the smoker this morning.  Got it good and hot, lots of cherry wood, plenty of smoke.  I have a vertical smoker so it was hanging from the sausage hooks.

And then that shit broke, right where it was hanging from, and dropped to the floor of the smoker.  We lost about half of it.  The half we could salvage smelled awesome.  I'll let you know what it tastes like when we eat it.

Anyways, I'm going to be kind of out of communication for the next week, but not totally.  So I'll post when I can.  I hope y'all had a decent weekend.  

No comments: