Friday, March 08, 2019

What a difference a couple decades make.

So, for the past few days I've been at Fort Hood, Texas.  Rather busy.  But the last time I had been at Hood was back in 1999, when young SP4 Dave was doing mobilization training for a little trip to Bosnia.

Can't say I ever wanted to come back after that trip.  But a couple of decades in between visits can change a place.  It's still Central Texas, which means it's flat, hot and windy.  Not my preferred climate.  But other than a month or two in the summer, this wouldn't be a bad place to live. 

Oh, and every single Army base still has that one road that is the cheap, run-down, used car lot, crappy bars, strip joints and criminal enterprises drag.  That hasn't changed.  At Fort Riley, we called that place "Junction City".

Anyone who's been stationed at Riley knows exactly what I mean.

Going home today, so I get to sleep in my own bed.  The lodging on post isn't bad, but it's not mine.  It doesn't have my wife and a home-cooked meal.  Which, by the way, should be meat-free today, as we are in the season of Lent, and every Friday you should be abstaining from meat.  The Mrs. and I do that all year round, but it's even more important during Lent.  Just an FYI.

3 comments:

Adrienne said...

In the 40 years since I left Houston which, when I lived there, was what we called a overgrown cow town and very conservative, has now morphed into a hot bed of liberalism. It makes me sad...

p2 said...

spent a couple fun weeks at Hood while the A-10 weapons school pilots were playing with the Army.... Mid 93 if memory serves. Got me out of Nellis in Las Vegas at least.. and that was always a good thing!

Ragin' Dave said...

My allergy load went way down in Central Texas. Once I got back to Mississippi it was sinus headaches and sneezing again.

This state hates me. I just know it.