Tuesday, June 09, 2015

My Letter to Tom Doherty at Tor Books

Dear Mr. Doherty, 
My name is Ragin' Dave.  I am a (my rank) in the United States Army, and I was recently made aware of comments made by one of your Senior Editors at Tor Books, Irene Gallo.  The comments that I refer to are pasted below: 
"There are two extreme right-wing to neo-nazi groups, called the Sad Puppies and Rabid Puppies respectively, that are calling for the end of social justice in science fiction and fantasy. They are unrepentantly racist, misogynist, and homophobic. A noisy few, but they've been able to gather some Gamergate folks around them and elect a slate of bad-to-reprehensible works on this year's Hugo ballot." 
While I have not participated in any Puppy-related campaigns, I have supported them silently from the sidelines.  To say that this comment from your senior editor infuriated me would be an exercise in downplaying the meaning of the word.  After reading that comment from Ms. Gallo, I went in search of other comments from Tor personnel. 
That’s when I found similar comments from Patrick Neilsen Hayden, Teresa Neilson Hayden, and Moshe Feder.  All of them attacking the character, integrity, intelligence and humanity of people they do not know, have never met, and only are aware of because of an internet campaign to have other books on the Hugo ballot. 
Mr. Doherty, I buy books, hundreds of books per year per year.  I do not have a TV in my house, I read.  I don’t watch shows on my computer, I read.  I read for enjoyment, I read for learning, I read for research, I read for improvement.  I buy paperback books, hard cover books and eBooks through Amazon.com.  And I have never once in my life boycotted a publishing house because I do not want to punish good authors for the actions of a few knuckle-heads.  But that this point I cannot in good conscience purchase any more books from Tor Books, as it seems that at least three members of your senior staff (four if you count Mrs. Neilson Hayden, who was recently part of your paid staff but is now a “consultant”) are such hate-filled creatures that they would attack the very people who they need to buy their books. 
I have read Mrs. Gallo’s so-called “apology”, and it’s the Diet Coke of apologies; saccharine, bland, and not real.  I have read your statement whereupon you claim that Mrs. Gallo does not speak for Tor Books.  Given the statements of Mrs. Gallo, both of the Neilson Haydens, and Mr. Feder, I can say for certainly that you may not wish them to speak for Tor Books, but they are doing just that.  I’m a military man, Mr. Doherty.  Once is accident.  Twice is coincidence.  Three times is Enemy Action.  And you have four individuals who have all attacked, impugned, slandered and defamed good, honest people, and I am quite honestly fed up with it. 
I will buy no further books from Tor Books until Mrs. Gallo is relieved of her duties and issued a pink slip.  I will not buy books from a company that hates me. 
Ragin' Dave
If you own any Tor books, or if you enjoy reading and you supported the SP campaign, it might be worth your time to politely tell Mr. Doherty how YOU feel about being called a neo-nazi.

No comments: