Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Cigar Review, Romeo y Julieta 1875 Torpedo

So, along with the Ave Maria that Anthony from CigarsCity.com sent me, there was also two Romeo y Julieta 1875 torpedoes for me to sample.  I let them sit in the humidor for a good long time, and I pulled out out last night to give it a try.

I didn't see the RyJ 1875 torpedoes on the website, but I did find the robustos.  It's a great blend no matter what size you smoke.

Fresh out of the wrapper, you get an aroma of tobacco and cedar.  The wrapper was cracked in the middle, but I'm fairly certain that's due to humidity fluctuations in my humidor.  The cigar seems to be well built.

I snipped off the end and the draw was good.  First light, and you get cedar, tobacco and hints of toast.  It's a medium bodied cigar, but it still holds its own with my single-malt scotch that I'm enjoying.  The flavor profile didn't change much as I smoked it, although it did get sweeter about halfway through the cigar.  The cedar faded a bit, and you get some cream and spice picking their heads up, but nothing dramatic.  Even when the nub was burning my fingers, you still got great flavor that wasn't too strong.

The ash held up as I smoked it, and I eventually knocked off two inches of ash that was still firm.  Great construction on this stick.  I never had any ash fall on me, even after letting it get to two inches.    Rolling the ash off the end of the cigar, you would get a firm barrel left in the ashtray.  It never disintegrated into loose ash.  The cigar burned even all the way down, no canoeing or soft spots.

The cigar remained medium bodied from start to finish, never beating up your palate.  As I said, it help up to my scotch, but it would go great with just bout any beer as well.

So, that's the technical stuff.  Here's the non-technical review.

This is a cigar that would pair well with anything you wanted to drink.  It's a middle-of-the-road cigar.  It's not going to jump up and scream "TASTE ME, YOU BASTARD!" but it's not going to leave you wanting more either.  It's a very good cigar.  But....

It's so middle-of-the-road that I have a hard time pointing to just what I like about it.  And I do like it, make no mistake.  I enjoyed it immensely, and I'm going to enjoy the second one that I have in my humidor.  But it's not memorable, not like the Ave Maria was.

This is the cigar that you get so that you can share with your buddies when they come over.  It's a good cigar, but you're not going to want to hoard them all.  And at $4 a stick, it's not going to bust your bank.  Would I pick it up at a cigar shop?  Depends on the price.  If it's listed as an $8 stick in the shop, then no.  But at the CigarsCity price?  Yep.  All day long.

No comments: