Tuesday, March 17, 2015

On the subject of "White Privilege"

I stayed clean and sober while other people got high.  I finished high school despite hating that hellhole more than anyone could ever possibly imagine.  I continue to learn every single day that I'm alive.  I enlisted in the Army and started at the bottom, then worked my way up.  I had a few detours along the way.  I was able to buy land because I had the fiscal responsibility to save up and pay for it.  I have never, ever bought a New Car.  I didn't have any kids out of wedlock.

I am where I am today because of the choices I've made, not because of the color of my skin.  I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth.  The one outstanding difference between myself and many of my peers is that my parents are still together, but that has to do with their faith, not their skin color.

Let's not even get into the fact that I'm not "white".  I'm a hodge-podge of various bloodlines that comes out more of a light tan when I'm up North, to a brown/tan that had people in Puerto Rico thinking I was a native when I'm anywhere down South.  But I don't have the politically correct versions of skin color, so they call me "White".

So all you people of different skin color who get high, get drunk, get stoned, get tweaked, go to clubs every night, always have the newest phone, always have a fancy car, spend $200 on a pair of sunglasses, have to have the latest fashions, who wants to "axe" me a question, who has multiple kids with multiple women (or multiple "baby daddies"), and who want to accuse me of "White Privilege"...

Go fuck yourself.  You're poor because you're stupid, lazy and undisciplined, not because you're black/brown/yellow/tan/some other color.  You are poor and in jail because you stupidly think jail time will bring you some "street cred".  You are poor and living in government housing because you're too lazy to finish high school and too lazy to gain any kind of skills that might help get you out of being Uncle Sam's little bitch.  You are broke because you're paying all your money to the five different women who you banged while you were stoned as fuck, or drunk as hell, and now you're paying for kids who you never see and don't care about that the government is probably paying for.  You are poor because you never bothered to learn anything from your twelve years of free education, and employers don't want an employee who can't read, can't write, speaks with some sort of fucked-up dialect that can only be understood by other ignorant fucksticks, and who has an attitude problem the size of Alaska.

In short, fuck you, fuck your "white privilege", and fuck anyone who thinks they can accuse me of having "white privilege" without me laughing in their face and calling them what they are:  A stupid, ignorant, lazy pimple on America's ass.  Work as hard as me, you can be as successful as me.  Sit back on your lazy ass while you smoke weed and bitch about how "The Man" is keeping you down?  Then you're going to be poor, ignorant and lazy until you change.

Deal with it.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Needed to be said, and EXACTLY like you said it.

Drumwaster said...

My story is much the same. I was the first person in my family to graduate from high school. I have had five different careers, and countless other jobs from the age where I was old enough to apply for those jobs, because that was what you had to do if you wanted any money when you were growing up in a single-mom household. Started out making homemade collectibles and selling them to the other kids and teachers in school. Moved up to delivering newspapers every morning before catching the bus for school, and graduated to bagging groceries when I turned 15. Worked a full-time job toting someone else's groceries AND kept bringing in straight A's because that was what was expected of me. I didn't own a car until I was 20, and it was already more than a dozen years old then. I have never owned a new car. I have no pity for those who can't make it on their own.

bbuddha said...

I remember when one of my clients told me I was lucky because I had a college degree. I said no, not lucky. I graduated high school instead of partying or getting myself knocked up. i then worked 3 jobs to put myself thru college. It wasn't luck it was choices. I think she was sorry she said that because she got the whole lecture on choices and consequences. This white privilege crap is just an extension of that thinking. My pale complexion didn't give me a headstart in life, my choices did.

Ragin' Dave said...

Drum - I started working when I was 12. Mowing lawns, landscaping, bucking bales (that's tossing hay bales onto a truck for you city slickers), you name it. Once I turned 16 I got an hourly wage job. I haven't stopped working since.

The place where I am now is the cumulative result of every choice I have ever made. It sounds complex, but it's really rather simple. The choices you make result in the life that you live. If you can't understand that, and instead choose to blame something else like "White Privilege" for your misfortune, then you're too stupid to be allowed around a voting booth or tools with sharp edges.

Anonymous said...

Not, "until you change", but "until you die".

Otherwise, a world-class statement, sir!

Rivrdog

Anonymous said...

I will cop to a bit of white privilege in that I was given the benefit of the doubt when dealing with the police after a few yute-ful indiscretions. Of course, it may have also had something to do with the fact that I was unfailingly polite, respectful, and knew damn well that I had been busted.

Nevertheless, those indiscretions exist now only in the memories of a few people.

I shudder when I think of all the idiots who are cataloging, forever, all their youthful stupidity.