Saturday, May 24, 2008

Why I am reluctant to attend college

Because "highly educated" does not mean what it once did.

Of the 14 or 15 applicants I interviewed, only one got them all right -- the only male in the crowd, by the way. None, zero, zip of the rest got even ONE right. Not a single one. A very irritated applicant asked me, "Do we really need to know this old stuff?" I noted that we worked with NATO and Europe, hence, it was important to know the background that led to the creation of NATO and the then just-concluded Cold War. She stared at me and said, "What does World War II have to do with NATO, the Cold War and Europe?"
Emphasis mine. Little 'ol dumb redneck me, with just a high school diploma, is sitting here wondering how someone from a so-called prestigious university could ask that question. THIS is what our universities are putting out? THIS is what a college education buys you?

Can someone tell me why I shouldn't just get a fancy piece of paper, doctor it up to look official, and call it a day? Why should I spend thousands of dollars to get an education of the places responsible for educating young men and women are not doing their jobs? What am I spending my money on?

I'm spending it to get a fancy piece of paper that looks official.

Found at Cold Fury.

No comments: