Saturday, December 22, 2007

Can't remember where I saw it

But a quote which stuck in my head today was "If life doesn't get in the way of blogging every once in a while, maybe you should try blogging less and living more." Well, I haven't had much time for blogging at all lately, in case you haven't noticed. Today is MY day. Breathing space. I've purchased the major Christmas stuff, but I need to go out and get stocking stuffers. And then there's church. Since I'm choir director, I have to be at the chapel every time the choir is needed. We have a Nativity pageant tonight, Sunday Mass tomorrow, Midnight Mass for Christmas Monday night and Christmas Mass on Tuesday. By Wednesday I'm going to be wiped out and ready for another vacation.

I don't know if many people who attend Mass know the sheer amount of effort it takes to make everything run smoothly. From the choir, to the Eucharistic ministers, to all the other volunteers who work in the background, it takes a lot of people so that everyone can come in and have mass. A LOT of people. And it's hard work. Once I leave Puerto Rico, I'm not going to be a choir director for a good long while, because honestly I just want to be able to enjoy mass for the first time in a long time instead of having some responsibility to attend to. Add in much of the other volunteer work I do for the chapel, and I haven't been able to sit in the pews for about two years now. I've always been doing something during mass.

But I'll tell you this: I have a much better understanding of what a priest goes through on a daily basis. It's an eye opener. If the military actually paid their Catholic chaplains what they were worth, i.e. the true value that they bring, they would get paid more than any general. And I'm blessed to have a darn good priest.

Anyways, I'm off to hit the showers and then find some stocking stuffers for the Ragin' Mrs. I'll see you all tomorrow.

No comments: