Tuesday, July 24, 2007

So, there was a "debate" last night?

I didn't watch it. I never do. Until it's the two presidential candidates mano-a-mano, I don't bother with watching regurgitated lies and half-truths spouting from stuffed shirts and idiots.

And to tell you the truth, a debate means nothing. You want to know what a person is going to do once they're in the Oval Office? Look at what they've done in the past. It's easy as hell to say "Oh well, I would do X, Y, and Z if I'm elected." But the simple fact is that most politicians can't be trusted. Period. They lie, lie some more, and then lie even more to cover up their previous lies. That's especially true for these "debates", which from what I can see was more of an "I'm not George Bush!" festival than any kind of a real debate.

I look at a candidate's history. Are they pro-gun or anti-gun? Their actions from their past will tell me that more than any amount of blathering on TV. Are they a tax-hungry money-grubbing prick? Or do they actually practice a slight modicum of moderation when it comes to our tax dollars? Well, let's look at the voting record!

I know that election season seems to start earlier and earlier every year. But I'm not going to be bothered with any candidate until around a year away from the elections. Until then it's all blathering and hot air emanating from people who excel at talking about nothing.

To be honest, that's why I'm leaning more and more towards Fred Thompson. Oh, I know that people are getting impatient with him. "Why hasn't he announced yet? What's he waiting for? He needs to jump into the race!" In all honesty, no he doesn't. The only think I know about everyone who's already announced that they're running is that I'm sick to death of hearing them or hearing about them. And there's only one or two people who I would vote for in the current crop of Presidential hopefuls anyway; I looked at their voting records, what they did, what they supported and what they opposed. You think I'd vote for McCain? Not a chance. McCain-Feingold, the Shamnesty debacle, I wouldn't vote for him if he were the only choice. Gulliani? Great for NYf'inC, but not so great for the country. Romney is a maybe. Hunter and Tancredo would be the only two currently running that I would say yes to at this point. But I'm already sick of hearing them talk. Meanwhile, Fred is just hanging back, and while that might piss some people off and raise all sorts of questions from people I don't give a shit about, I like it.

The election is OVER A YEAR AWAY. If the current crop of candidates actually want to make me sit up and take notice, why don't they get back to doing their damn jobs, ensure that the troops are funded, work on making the Bush tax cuts permanent, and the other various things that they haven't been doing. You know, stop talking about all the great stuff you would do, and actually try to DO some of it! What a novel concept! But all I see is blather blather blather, yada yada yada, bullshit bullshit bullshit from a bunch of idiots who are long on talk and short on action. "I'm the bestest!" "Nuh-uh, I'M the bestest!" "Nah, you two aren't, because I'M the bestest!" What a crock. The only thing this extended election season has proven to me is that I really don't like most of them, and don't want to see them elected ever again.

The sad fact is that most of the current candidates aren't even fit to do the job they were elected to in the first place. Why the hell would I want to elect them to a higher office? I don't. So when Fred tosses his hat into the ring, that's who I'll be supporting. But if he's smart, he'll keep holding off until a year out. Let everyone else spend their money and blather on. Sometimes exposure isn't a good thing, and for the Congresscritters howing into a TV camera right now, well, they would do well to talk less and act more.

No comments: