Monday, October 03, 2005

Operation Bright Star

Now that everything is said and done, I can tell you that I was in Egypt for three weeks participating in Operation Bright Star. OPSEC before I left was an issue, so I was instructed not to even mention it until everything was wrapped up. But anyways, that's where I was. In the desert.

By the way, anyone who says that Egypt is "sandy" can bite me. It wasn't sandy, it was dusty. The dust was everywhere. It got everywhere. You couldn't get rid of it. Before I hit the rack at night I would shake clouds of dust off of my uniform. You had to soak a handkerchief with water and tie it around your face before you rode in any vehicles just to avoid sucking dust into your lungs. I'm still coughing up brown crap. Although I did see sand at the airport before I left. Other than that, it was all dust.

I went over there with the expectation of doing the job that I had been trained for. Silly me. I was a logistician with no supply room, no computer or network, and no way to order parts or supplies. So I became an honorary mechanic, as well as being the all around gofer. Still learned quite a bit and got experience I wouldn't have dreamed of just sitting at my unit.

And no, I didn't see the pyramids or anything like that. There were a few people who had time to go on tours and see the tourist sites, but I wasn't one of them. I did manage to pick up a few gifts here and there, but for the most part I was confined to the site we were set up in.

I did manage to snap a few pictures, but due to OPSEC we weren't allowed to photograph any of the base we were at. So most of my pictures are rather non-descript. I did take my camera with me when I was on a Blackhawk helicopter, so once those are developed I'll be posting them. I should be taking them to a lab today or tonight, and scanning them in later.

In any case, I'm back! Once I recuperate a bit and do some laundry, I'll be back to blogging on a semi-regular basis. I see that the Left is up to their usual stupidity, so I'll have plenty to get pissed about.

Time to keep on keepin' on.

No comments: