Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Nailed it in one

Via Kim du Toit, (and in turn the Geek w/a .45 and Cap'n Jim) comes this article from The High Road which needs to be a must read for everyone.

Violence and brutality are as much a part of humanity as intelligence and socialization. It is the universal drive of civilization to contain these instincts, to redirect them into more productive channels, to convince people to live within a set of rules. But no matter how civilized, no society has eliminated them, nor will one. The society that forgets this is the society that falls to the barbarian hordes. The society that accepts this, and nurtures the warrior spirit away from barbarism and into the defense of the right is the society that rises to glory.


This is something that people on the Left just can't comprehend. To the Left, everything would be flowers and rainbows if we just gave up our guns and said lots of nice things to each other.

Which is why I say that the Left is infantile and uncomprehending of anything resembling truth and logic.

For as long as mankind has existed, there were humans who preyed on their fellow man. Why? Who knows. Maybe mommy didn't love them enough. Maybe they didn't have any morals or standards. Perhaps they've got a wire loose and they enjoy hurting people. Who knows? But they exist, as is proven on a daily basis where ever humans congregate. Rapists, murderers, burglers, hoodlums, malcontents, ner'dowells, whatever you want to call them, they are here and they don't give two hoots and a hollar about laws, rules, ethics, morals, or any of the other miriad of things that the rest of us live by. The un-named things that make civilization work are just words to these goblins.

So how do you stop them? Knowing that they don't care about laws or rules, knowing that they don't care about anything you do or say, and knowing that they will violate any rule or concept in order to get what they want, how do you stop them?

You can't convince them or talk to them. You have to shoot them. That's an unfortunate fact of life.

So let's talk about needs. This is what I need.

I need to protect my children from harm. I need to stop my front lawn from being a killing field. I need to be safe when I walk out my front door. The government does its part to achieve these things: the Mongol Horde isn't going to come screaming down Main Street stealing my children for slaves. No Zeroes will be strafing my front lawn. The Wehrmacht isn't going to goose-step up the walk and bayonet me when I go to work. But I need to do my part, because no one else can do it for me. No amount of governmental good intention will prevent a man from assaulting me in an alley. No divison of infnatry will stop a thug from raping my wife. No intelligence satellite will catch the man who murders my child before it happens.

What I want is to never be necessary. I devoutly hope to never see true violence, and I have so far managed to avoid even bar fights. I want to be the absolute last line of defense for me and mine, behind every person my tax money has hired to keep my community safe. But no amount of wanting will mean that I am not that last line of defense, and I need, I deserve, I demand the right to be that last line. This is the final remaining vestige of the barbarian impulse, the warrior spirit, that I possess.


One of the main reason I have a gun and belive in carrying it is this simple fact: If anyone or anything attempts to harm my family or my friends, I will wreak terrible vengance upon them.

It is that simple. If you are so morally depraved that you have no problem with assaulting or raping my wife and family, if you are so careless about rules and laws that you break into my house and attempt to steal from me, you will die. Since these criminals cannot be stopped with laws, regulations, or pretty speech, I have no option left but to either be a victim or to eliminate these people from society.

I refuse to be a victim.

No comments: