Monday, December 27, 2004

Which reminds me...

...of a time when I worked in an office building that was shared by two brothers, one was CEO of a software development firm, the other a computer distributor. The latter occupied only a small part of the office space but, of course, used the warehouse space in the back to their advantage. There was just one problem: the place was a mess.

Nay, a disgrace. We all used to joke about it.

Then the company hired this thirty-something fellow straight out of the Army. Dude had been a Quartermaster.

Three days later, a guy I worked with dragged me out back to the warehouse. The place had been totally transformed - everything in its bin, a bin for everything, and one could have dined off the floor. My coworker (he was Army PsyOps) looked at me and said:

"You know what this is called, man?

"No," I said.

"Two words," he replied. "Squared away."

We were out back catching a smoke the first time thereafter a big shipment arrived from Compaq. The driver of the truck got out of his cab, walked up the ramp with his delivery paperwork, looked around and whistled, then marveled: "What the hell happened here?"

Squared away.

It's been part of my personal lexicon ever since.

No comments: