Monday, September 20, 2004

On The Run Again

No, not because I'm in trouble. I need to get back into shape, and today I started running for the first time in over four years.

When I got out of the Army in 2000, I told myself that I was only going to run if someone was screaming for me or shooting at me. I had to go to a doctor in 2002 due to knee problems (anterior ligament) and the doctor told me that I had compressed the cartiledge in my knees. Years of running in formation will do that to them. By the time I ETS'ed, I was hobbling after every run. I would literally limp home after PT sessions. The doctor said that time and TLC would eventually get my knees back to health, and I've been taking it easy on them for the past couple of years, not wanting to aggrivate anything. I was somewhat hesitant to start running again, but since I re-enlisted, it was necissary. So this morning after my push-ups and sit-ups, I put on my running shoes and headed out.

No pain.

Hallelujia, I could run and it didn't hurt! I didn't time myself, since I'm so out of shape that I would cry if I saw my time, but I ran for over two miles with no pain. By the time I hit Texas, I'm going to be smoking the run route.

The times, they are a changing. And I have one less thing to worry about. I can still run.

No comments: