Monday, June 23, 2003

Add another Dave to the list. You might as well call me David since Dave II sounds like a sleep-inducing sequel. It seems we have the west coast covered. Dave is up in Seattle and I am in the Bay Area of California. To make things more interesting, I went to college in Berkeley, finished law school, and am soon finished a Masters in Business. So believe it or not I am a Berkeley educated conservative attorney. I know of no other.

I have never written on a blog before. Thank you Tim for inviting me. I should add an interesting perspective as I understand liberalism quite well. I was inundated with Marxism and Foucault at Berkeley and can state that at least 85% of the legal industry, in California at least, is well left of center. The Federalist Society chapter at my law school attracted about 15 students; we could not convince any of the faculty members to sponsor us (they all had mouths to feed and wanted their job), and I was called a bigot for just going to a meeting. If you want to see the face of intolerance, just find some of those sheltered liberals who have never done anything other than read Rolling Stone, watch MTV, and satisfy their suburban parents by getting good grades in school. These myopic fools still do not fully understand that a group of atavistic madmen want to slit our throats, convert our children to Islam and torch our country. To them, this is all a Bush conspiracy.

My thought for the day is a no-brainer: The Bollinger Affirmative Action Cases. I have not yet gotten the chance to read the cases and I will do so soon, I hope. But from what I have read and heard so far, it sounds like a judicial blow most conservatives/libertarians did not expect. It seems that the US government has not yet understood that the Constitution demands it judge people by the content of their character, not the color of their skin. Unfortunately, it appears that SCOTUS today has institutionalized what leftists call "benign racism" for a generation. While some may say that the decision is a victory because it shot down the quantified racial spoils system of giving chosen boutique minority groups 20 points in the admission scale, it is hardly a victory. SCOTUS held that viewing race as an advantage in the admission process is ok so long as it is but a component in a process that looks at each individual rather than uses a mathematical scheme. This signals a boom time for unemployed college admissions agents as Universities across the country will be pouring resources into their offices in order to personalize the process so that they can retain affirmative action and be consistent with the law. Instead of using objective formulas that account for race and weed out the unacceptable, Universities will now go through applications one by one to dole out racial preferences. Anyone who thinks they will not take the time or spend the resources does not fully understand the religious zeal behind the left's love for affirmative action.

No comments: