Sunday, May 28, 2023

It ain't safe

 And it never was.

Over the last decade of diagnosing countless young patients with new psychotic disorders, one striking result has stuck out for New York City psychiatrist Dr. Ryan Sultan.

“Of all the people I’ve diagnosed with a psychotic disorder,” he said, “I can’t think of a single one who wasn’t also positive for cannabis.” 

But Dave, what about medical use?  Well, that's medical.  There's lots of drugs out there used in medicine that shouldn't be used recreationally.  We now have decades of recreational marijuana use that we can research, and every time people actually look into the data, the results are not good for the users.

2 comments:

Drumwaster said...

You know me, Dave. I am one of the VERY few that actually uses it for its medicinal value. If I get close to the "fuzzy edge", I put it down and just take the damned pills. I don't like pills because they either don't work or make me stupid, and I have no use for either kind. Same reason I don't drink alcohol. But it's all prescribed, and it's up to me to use it rationally.

MMJ is super easy to titrate without ever losing awareness and adult comprehension. That works well with the multiple chronic pain conditions I have, and allowed me to run a business for a long time despite them. The political and economic reasons why Marijuana was placed in the "worse than heroin" category are interesting and relevant, but I no more recommend people abuse it than they would abuse anything. Teens claiming "I've got glaucoma" should get their heads smacked and a bus ticket to the nearest boot camp, but MMJ has legitimate uses for me. Fibro, rheumatoid arthritis, spinal problems (upper and lower), right knee, lower back, and all the rest. I have to have something to allow me to get by while still remaining sentient.

How's life in mufti? ;-)

CT Ginger said...

Troubled people self-medicate. I’m sure if the good doctor had looked for it he would have discovered alcohol, caffeine, nicotine and adderall in most if not all of his patients as well.