Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Early Christmas present to myself

 Mom:  Now if I could only do something with those *&^$% racoons...

Me:  Shoot 'em.  

Mom:  With what?

Me:  Small caliber something or other.  You don't need a big gun.

Mom:  I have a 22 pistol....

Me:  Meh.  22 Mag would be better.

Mom:  22 what now?

Me:  22 Magnum.  Same caliber, bigger casing, more omph.  One shot one kill on varmints.

Mom:  Well, I know a gun shop....

Long story short:  Rossi 22 Mag for $200 (it was on sale, $80 off), scope (also on sale for a HUUUUUUUUUGE discount), scope rings and ammo today.  Grand total, around $400.

I'm gonna sight it in and then see if I can nail me some varmints in the barn.

3 comments:

Joe Texan said...

I bought this for myself for Christmas last year. Is this the same one? It'd be great if someone made higher-capacity mags for it. Or 3-D print some, if I can get or make springs.

https://rossiusa.com/firearms/rimfire-rifles/25-rimfire-rifle-22wmr-black-21-10-rounds-semi-auto

Anyway, it's a tack driver at 50+ yards with the scope I have on it.

Ragin' Dave said...

Yep, the very same although mine is in green. I've found that when you sight it in, you have to use the same weight of ammo. I used 40 grain bullets, both target and hollow-point and I was hitting a 1X1 inch square at the full length of the range, but when I switched to 30 grain I was shooting high and right. That's not all that much a problem. I'll keep with the 40 grain.

Joe Texan said...

I didn't even know they made them in green. Now I might have to get a second one.

I have a decent stockpile of 40 grain .22 WMR. Back when ammo was so hard to find on store shelves, the local Wal-Mart would regularly have a couple of boxes of it, and I would buy one of them every time. I also have a KelTec PMR-30 with the M-CARBO upgrades, so I can use the 40 grain in that as well.