Saturday, November 16, 2019

And I'm back

And I love my wife, I really really do.

My wife comes from a family that won't use a single nail when a dozen nails will do.  Because it might come loose.  And there was room, right there, don't you see it?

So we've had a few rodent problems.  The previous tenants weren't exactly the greatest, there were a few issues we cleaned up, and it's an older house.  It's getting colder, and the furry little bastards were coming inside. 

So my wife looks up ways to keep mice out, and sees that mothballs will tend to drive them out because they don't like the smell.

So my dear, loving wife buys a big ass bag of moth balls, finds a couple spots under the kitchen cabinets that the mice have used, and shoves them in there.

All of them, from what I can tell.

My house smells like a public urinal right now.  I'm going to drill through the baseboards tomorrow and vacuum all those mothballs out.

3 comments:

Adrienne said...

Use peppermint oil - and plug the cracks. We had them get in our duct work. Snap-e traps on Amazon work great. You don't want one of the little whores dropping her litter in your house.

https://amzn.to/2puRCQ0

pigpen51 said...

As much as I hate cats, when I was married to my first wife, we lived in a mobile home out in the country, on a few acres. There were two different critters that we dealt with, until she got a cat.
The cat took care of the field mice that tried to get into the home, no matter the season.
The other animal that I had problems with were snakes. I live in Michigan, and so we only have 1 poisonous snake species here, the Massassauga Rattlesnake. They are shy, and tend to live in woody, wetland areas. While we had a river down below the hill about 200 yards behind us, I never say any of these snakes there. In fact, I have only seen 2 of this rattlesnake in my 59 years of life, here in Michigan, and they were both very young, small ones. One when I was in high school small game hunting with my buddies. We heard it before we saw it, and it was only about 15-18 inches long. Being from Michigan, and not having any experience with poisonous snakes, we backed up and got the hell out of dodge away from the area.
The other time I saw one was when I was helping clear brush away from a friends place and we found one laying under a piece of plywood, that was flat on the ground. We replaced the plywood, and left it alone, to live it's life unmolested.
The problem with snakes that I had at my house trailer on a couple of acres, was easily taken care of, as long as I kept the grass mowed down near the home. If I allowed it to get too tall, as happened from time to time, when I was working 12 hour shifts plus a 1 hour drive each way, and I simply didn't have the time to keep the grass down, the snakes might get close to the house.
In Michigan, we have something like 15 species of snakes, with most of them being fairly shy. The few snakes that I typically saw around my place were brown snakes and blue racers, with the blue racers being by far the most common. I almost forgot about the garter snakes. I know we have more than one type of garter snakes here in Michigan, but I don't know what types they are. I just know that at times, we would see them around, but I made certain that we didn't harm them, and for the most part, our cat and dog didn't mess with them either. They are harmless, and help keep the pest population down, such as toads, and insects, etc.

Ragin' Dave said...

My wife doesn't like cats at all, and she's actually discussed getting a cat here. Or at least finding some stray and feeding it so it hangs around and kills the mice.